Review by Faked Sympathy

"Tense."

You are Sam Fisher. You are a Splinter Cell. You can barely see anything without your night vision. That aside, the rest of the game rocks.

Now, this game has awesome gameplay. It takes real skill, knowledge, cunning, and sometimes just plain luck to succeed, just like in real life. The slightest addition or subtraction of force applied on the controller can make the difference in success and failure. You have to be alert. You have to be careful. You have to be smart. This game is one that you can really get into. You can sit in front of the screen for hours and hours, sliding by guards, crawling under moving trains, shooting out street lights, and ultimately, protecting America from terrorist threat. It's tense. It's nerve racking. It's...something else synonymic to tense. This game will keep you on your toes. Heck, if you're into this game, you're wife can't even call you to dinner without making you jump. This game has great gameplay.

Now, I could never really get into the storyline of the Splinter Cell games that much. I mean, I enjoyed listening to what Lambert and everyone had to say during missions, and I watched the cinemas, but I didn't really follow it. It's not that...appealing. Now, take a game like the Star Wars games. You can get into those plots, they're unique, they're different, but this game doesn't have those qualities. It's just...stop people from hurting other people. That's the plot in a nutshell. Well, a rather small nutshell, but even so. I don't think it's a plot you can get into. This game has a mediocre plot.

Now, you're probably getting annoyed with me saying 'now' all the time. Get used to it. I think this game was really detailed. You could see the individual leaves, and blades of grass, you could see different bricks layed differently and unevenly in buildings. It has very good detail. But the LIGHTING! Oh my GOD! The lighting is what took TWO WHOLE POINTS off of the rating I gave this game. I mean, there'd be blinding white lights, and 15 feet below, the light looks like candlelight. I think that Ubisoft was just trying to provide more darkness for us to travel through, but I disagree with it. I think the light should have been realistic like it was in the first one. Another point is sound. This game had crappy music. But then, it's a spy game, I don't think the music is very important. The SFX make ALL the difference. And they're good SFX. A can clanging on a stone path sounds different from a can clanging on a wooden floor. Most programmers never took the time to realistically differ sounds depending on the situation, but Ubisoft sure did. I think that every step you take, every shot you fire, has a unique, noticeable sound. This game has excellent sound effects, moderate graphics.

Now, you can try and try, but you can't get too much of this game. Missions can take a long time, and there are a buncha missions. So you can play the game over and over, and it won't seem old, boring, or predictable. You really can't learn a set strategy, because things are almost always different. But it's hard to describe. You really have to play to believe.

So, let's recap. Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow. Good gameplay. Good controls. Great graphics. BAD lighting effects. Has crappy music... but good sound effects. Can be played over and over, and is overall a very good game. I bought it with GS store credit. I would have bought it with cash, because it's definitely worth the money. Whether you have the money to buy it or if you have to wait for Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, birthday, whatever it is, GET THIS GAME. It's a great break from rushing in and killing everyone like some game.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 08/05/04