Review by Megaman1981

"The best console ever created."

I loved my Nintendo 64. However in 2001, I realized that I had to get the new Nintendo system that was coming out. The reason? Nintendo and game developers had basically given up on the N64. While I was sad, because like I said before I loved my N64, I was truly impressed by what I had seen from the Nintendo Gamecube. While I was indeed impressed, the Gamecube has exceeded my expectations completely. I must say, the Nintendo Gamecube is the best console ever created, period.

So let's describe the sound and graphics for the Gamecube. The sound is Dolby Surround Sound, and every game sounds wonderful because of it. The graphics are also a clear upgrade over the N64. As an example, simply compare The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time from the N64 version, and then the Gamecube version. The results are stunning, and it's still the same game. The graphics also compare well in retrospect to the PS2 and Xbox. It blows away the PS2 on almost every level, and is very close to the Xbox as well. Believe me, the graphics won't disappoint anyone.

So, what does the Gamecube look like? It's a perfect 3D square machine. It's very small, and has a carrying handle on the back (although it is recommended that you shouldn't use it; you could damage your game lens.) The actual game disks are very small as well. Apparently Nintendo thought small when designing the Gamecube. The disks don't play DVD's or CD's, but who cares? Game consoles are about games and nothing else. There are also two slots for memory cards, and four controller ports. There is also a nice add on called the Game Boy Player. This attaches to the bottom of your system, and allows you to play Game Boy games on it. Sweet!

The controller is, you guessed it, small. In fact it is so small that it fits perfectly in you hands. Best controller ever? You got it. The design itself is much like the N64. The analog stick and D-pad is on the left, while the start button is in the middle. The right side has a C-stick, X, Y, B, and A buttons. It should be pointed out that the A button is huge! Finally we have the left and right shoulder buttons, and the Z button on the top right. No need for a rumble pack, it's built right in.

However, the reason I love the Gamecube so much is because of the games. While the N64 games are exceptional, the Gamecube games are out of this world. My A list is pretty huge, but I feel that I should share it with you. First of all there are several retro collections available on it such as, Sonic Mega Collection, Sonic Gems Collection, The Legend of Zelda: Collectors Edition, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time/Master Quest, Mega Man X Collection, and the Mega Man Anniversary Collection. As for the top original titles, it is a pretty big list. They include, Metroid Prime 1 and 2, The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, Super Mario Sunshine, Pikmin 1 and 2, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Donkey Konga 1 and 2, Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat, Animal Crossing, Eternal Darkness, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Luigi's Mansion, Wario World, Metal Gear, as well as many others. It also has top third party support including, the Simpson's games, Prince of Persia games, Tom Clancy Splinter Cell games, Resident Evil games, Pac-Man games, Soul Calibur, Sonic games, Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2, and of course the Madden series. Also several Mario themed games including, Kart, Tennis, Golf, Soccer, Baseball, and the Party games. One final game of mention is Star Fox Adventures. This was the final game between Nintendo and Rare before Rare went to Microsoft. It is also a must buy.

So why do I think the Gamecube is the best system ever created? Well, I have come to love and respect Nintendo as a company. I think that their products are the best in the gaming industry. I have supported Nintendo all my life. Well, with the Gamecube I get the best of the best on one system. I like classic 2D Mario games. Thanks to the Game Boy Player, I can play these classics on the big screen. I also love the 2D Mega Man, Sonic, and Zelda games. Thanks to those retro collections I mentioned, I can play them on the Gamecube. Finally, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask are my two favorite 3D games. I can also play those with my Gamecube. If only they would port Super Mario 64! So you see that not only do I like Nintendo's new games that have come out, but I also get to play all of my favorite games that I grew up with on one system. Do I recommend the Gamecube? Yes, the system only costs $99, and there are several A list games that only cost $20. The best console ever? You bet, time for everyone to dive right in.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/11/05, Updated 02/21/06