Review by MysticFog

"A trip back in time for loyal Mega Man fans! Almost Perfect."

Welcome to Mega Man Anniversary Collection! Just recently released for the PS2 and GCN consoles! This compilation takes you back to the good old days when all you needed was to walk, shoot, and jump to defeat your many enemies! The Anniversary Collection contains the NES Classics, Mega Man 1-6, the SNES game Mega Man 7, the PS1 game Mega Man 8, and the two "New to the U.S." games Mega Man: The Power Battle, and Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters. But..there is more! Let's get to the review now shall we!?

What can I say..this is awesome. It's just as fun as it was back in the day! And the difficulty level to match. You can either select Normal or Easy mode from the options menu. Depending on how well you know these games you choose your difficulty. Just like then the game will make you weep, groan, and grit your teeth as you try to adventure through the many levels of the robot masters of each game. Also..1-8 are already unlocked for you. you must unlock the other two.

A new mode has shown up as well called "Navi Mode" in which the Life Bars and Weapon screen menus have changed into more enhanced version..sorta like..Playstation graphics if you will. And also they help you get through the level with arrows and some hints.

The Controls..now..lets see..A is Shoot, B is Jump, Y is Rapid, and X is Slide depending on what game your playing. The shoulder buttons are now shortcuts to your weapons to switch them on the fly when you desire and start is the menu such as return to title, return to game select etc etc. and the Z button brings up your wep menu. Now..some of us Vet's might be pretty sour they reversed the Jump and Shoot buttons..but trust me..once you get past a couple levels it comes second nature to you!

Ok folks..now..you know the Mega Man games story hasnt really been..let's say...the most In Depth youve ever seen before. But hey..it gets the job done right? Ok for those who don't know the basic story i'll tell you!

In the Distant future there were two Scientists..Dr. Light and Dr. Wily. Dr. Light is the creator of Mega Man who he built to protect the earth from Dr. Wily's evil Robot Masters. Everytime Mega Man manages to actually catch up to Wily he usually always escapes to bring back more Robot Masters for Mega Man to fight. Thats the Basic overview of the story.

I wouldve given this a 10 but the picture seems to be a tiny bit more blurry then what it was on the original NES and the screen seems to cut off on the left side just a tad. But..otherwise then that the games look beautiful just like their original selves. I would also like to take note on the new kinda item screen you get when Navi Mode is on. It would now show cool art icons for each wep and a nice big screen with it on it. I just thought this was pretty cool.

Now..some of you might be saying "A 7?!..Mega Man has some of the best sound and music to hit the NES"...well yes..thats true. but since the sound has been formatted to stereo sound there seems to be just a tiny bit of echoes that couldve been prevented. Some of the sound effects sound stranger now as well..for example..in Mega Mans jumping noise sounds alot different then it does then the original. And sometimes when you charge you mega buster when its fully charged the noise seems alot louder then it should. You can go into the Options menu to change the Volume and Sound Effect levels but I don't see why they couldnt add a option for Stereo or Mono..but never the less..good stuff lol..

Replayability: 10/10

This is the best aspect of Mega Man..I can never get tired of just going into a game and start blasting away robots like mad. And you have 10 Games to do this in!! seriously how is that now nice?? haha and getting many many different weapons to do it with as well!

Final Rating: 9/10

I recommend you buy this game at once! It is a great game with many classic games that if you were unfortunate not to be able to play them then..you can now!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/24/04