Review by ShadowNinjaGuy

"A great port of the classic Megaman games."

I've been waiting for this release since May. Only now did I finally get it, and I have to say it's very good. Trying to review all 10 (2 unlockable) games in this review I simply have no time for, so instead I'll give you a general picture.

The graphics in this game are fairly good, considering 6/10 are NES ports. Really, these games aren't built for their graphics, but most of the late NES Megaman games (5 and 6 especially) are really good. The menu screen is well made, and the pictures while the game's loading a new area is very cute. In all, these are some nice graphics.

We move on to the sound, and depending on the game it's good to downright silly. Megaman's gun in the 7th game sounds ridiculous, while in others it really sounds like some plasma beam thingy is shot from his gun. And all the games have the *cli-clank* that he makes as he lands, which was a nice touch in the NES versions. 7 and 8 seem to have made that sound a bit weirder though.

Moving on to music, some of the tunes are quite memorable, and I can recall several off the top of my head. The menu music is a nice relaxing song, and you can unlock some tunes to listen to as you play. A few can be a bit tingey though, especially some of the NES ones.

Gameplay is excellent, the games were almost ported exactly. Some changes for saving/loading issues, but other than that they're great. What kind of confuses me is the controls. B is jump and A is fire. Because I played Metroid Prime i'm slightly used to this, but why the change? The controls are very responsitive, but in some of the earlier games megaman slides a bit after you let go of the controls. It's been like that since the NES though, so that's not too major of a problem, yet it still sucks when you slide right into a spike.

The replay factor depends. If you're the kind of person who plays through then never touches it again, you might want to just rent this. If you like going through a game again and trying something new, this game is perfect. You can go through the Robot Masters in almost any order. (I say almost because in 7 and 8 you're forced to fight 4, then another set of 4.) There are also plenty of unlockables to get, making those who are interested in getting everything to keep playing.

Overall, this is a very good, well-made port. Each of the games is ported almost perfectly, making it seem like a true classic experience. I give this a 9/10.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/25/04