Review by Big Bob

"Big Bob's summer reading list: Mega Man 1, Mega Man 2, Mega Man 3..."

Ah, Mega Man. How do I love thee? Whatever the reason is, this game is exactly what I needed. Having never owned a Nintendo or Super Nintendo, I missed out on the adventures of the blue bomber. Having picked up the game Mega Man & Bass for GBA, and renting Mega Man Network Transmission, I knew that this guy had something I wanted. When I preordered Mega Man Anniversary Collection, I received a T-Shirt that said "I beat the 8 master robots!", with a picture of Mega Man and the bosses of Mega Man 2. At the time I knew the shirt was a lie, I had played nothing but a demo of the game. But now I can honestly say "I've beaten the 46 master robots!".

If you've played any NES games before, you should know that storylines were simple and repetitive. Every single game on this disk requires you to stop Dr. Wily and his army of robots. The plot of Mega Man 6 is especially stupid. "I have been manipulating Dr. Wily from the beginning! Just kidding. I AM Dr. Wily!" I apologize if I spoiled the obviously complex storyline.

These are port of NES games, and a couple others that are early-PSX quality, so the graphics should not play an important part at all in your opinion of this game. Every NES game had different backgrounds, bosses, and music, but the same layout and engine. Plus some of the later bosses are especially stupid (PLANT Man???). Everything is colorful and nice looking, but remember these games were made 8 years ago. You would expect the music quality to be the same, and it is, but some of these tunes are just awesome (Elec Man's theme is one of my favorites).

Now the gameplay, this is what Mega Man is all about. I warn you, if you aren't a Mega Man veteran, these games will be hard as hell for you. Mega Man can't jump very high, he can't shoot up, and he can't duck. In MM1&2, the blue bomber can only jump and shoot. In 3, he gets the ability to slide, and in 4 his buster cannon gets a charge function. The kid isn't completely helpless, though. Each time he destroys a boss, he gains that boss's power, which is effective against another boss, whose power is effective against yet another boss, sort of like a rock-scissors-electricity-water-fire-bomb kind of sense. And yes, that's the method of going through Mega Man 1. Also through the games Mega Man will gain items that let him cross a large gap, spring up onto a ledge, or do another things. Even with these items, though, the stages are very, very hard. Falling to your death will occur more than anything else, and due to the bomber's short jumping distance, it can be extremely frustrating. There are gazillions of traps waiting for you, and for an odd reason, falling on a bed of spikes is more dangerous than getting shot in the head. Still, through all the frustration, there's no better feeling than finally beating a boss you've spent weeks trying to kill. Oh, and Capcom was nice enough to implement a save feature in each and every game.

Being first and second generation games, each of them are rather short, but 10 games are still a lot, and with several unlockables (remixed music, art gallerys, and an interview from G4) you will want to play until you've seen everything there is to see.

**insert Protoman's theme song here**