Review by Asheron

"The best idea Capcom ever had!"

Yes, you heard me. Mega Man Anniversary Collection is the best idea, in my opinion, that Capcom ever had. Complete with the whole classic Mega Man series, two rare arcade games, some tunes from some of the epic boss fights, and an interview with Keiji Inafune himself, Mega Man Anniversary Collection has it all. If you're a big Mega Man fan, its like going back to the old days, if you've never seen Mega Man in your entire life, well, this is a good way to start your journey. Now, back to the glory days, back to when Mega Man was all about exploiting your bosses weaknesses using power-ups you obtained, and breaking your B-button from smashing it in so hard to get in that last buster shot……

Sound/Music: 10/10

Now, if you're a real Mega Man fan, you know that Rock and Roll were two ordinary children that volunteered to be transformed into fighting robots to stop the evil Dr. Wily. If you haven't caught on yet, read their names together, in unison. Obviously, as Keiji Inafune explains, Mega Man games have been notorious from their catchy tunes, and sound effects hold up to the music's hype.

OK, before you judge the graphics, let's remember, that Mega Man 1-6 were on NES, that's only 8-bits, folks. For the NES standards, Mega Man had average graphics. I would rate them a 7/10. But, Mega Man 7, for the SNES had AMAZING graphics by the SNES standards, rating them a 10/10. Mega Man 8 had exceptional graphics by PSX standards, so, I rate them an 8/10. All in all, the graphics here are good, not the best on their respective systems, but, hey, graphics don't make a video game, so, life goes on.

Here we go! The section that actually means something! Mega Man is such a simple game to learn, but difficult to master. The biggest thing in Mega Man, back in 1988, was that you could choose your own path. You could pick when you did each level, there was no set path to take. Also, the boss pattern, often called (rock, paper, scissors), is a pattern where each boss is strong against, and weak against another boss. Basically, in Mega Man, you fight the first boss using your Mega Buster, and then, using the power you had obtained from the first boss, fight the boss weak to that power, then the boss that is weak to the power you obtained from the second boss and so forth. The basic movements you can make in the original Mega Man are shooting you buster, jumping, running left or right, and using your obtained boss powers. In later games, you gain the ability to call on your robotic dog, Rush, who can help you to jump higher, or, go far distances when he transforms into Rush Jet or Rush Marine. The controls are simple, but the intricate levels and bosses make for a great game in which you don't have to memorize various commands for thousands of buttons. The controls themselves are set-up in an awkward way, but you will eventually get used to them. This is why the Mega Man series is still so very popular today.

Folks, it isn't Final Fantasy we're talking about here. Pretty much, in every game, Dr. Wily sets up a few robots to destroy you and the rest of the planet. In Mega Man 1-4, there isn't a story after the Dr. Wily plot. You learn a big chunk of the storyline in Mega Man 5, where you learn how Mega Man came to be a robot, and so on. The story gets more in-depth as you play the later games, I'd almost qualify, in terms of story, Mega Man 7 and 8 as adventure games. This is where the points go up.

Replayability: 10/10

I've beaten Mega Man 7 times, and I've had the collection for 2 weeks. The unlockable arcade games are so fun to play, if you have a friend with you, you'll never get tired of them. You can beat Mega Man, then go on to Mega Man II, then go beat Mega Man again, then go beat Mega Man II again……you'll be playing this game for years to come.

Final Score: 9/10

This game gets a 9/10 as my final score. If you are a Mega Man fan, you NEED this game. Another thing I liked in this game was the 15-minute interview with Keiji Inafune and a few other big Mega Man producers, like the maker of the Battle Network series, and so forth. You can learn a lot about the history of Mega Man in the interview. This game is a great way to enter the series, and a great way to look at the series in a new way for more experienced Mega Man fans. Well, I hope you enjoyed this review. Oh, as for Buy/Rent: BUY BUY BUY! For 30 bucks, your getting 10 priceless games…what's not to like?

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/08/04