Review by WVI

"Hooray for blasting stuff!"

Mega Man. Rockman. The Blue Bomber. The little game character that could. You get the point. Mega Man is still Capcom's most successful franchise, and you get 10 games with this collection. 10 lovely games. On top of that, there are extra features like Navi Mode, which gives you hints while playing the NES games. Let's get to the review, shall we?

Graphics:
Mega Man 1-6: 6/10
Mega Man 7: 8/10
Mega Man 8: 10/10
Arcade games: 8/10

The NES Mega Man games had some pretty good graphics for the NES, though they looked a bit odd. I guess it's the fact that Megaman's got that straight face all the time. Megaman 7 for the SNES wasn't always eye candy, but each character had a good amount of sprites. It looked pretty lively. Megaman 8(for the Sony Playstation)'s hand-drawn visuals are beautiful. It's fun to stop and watch how smooth a Met looks. It also has anime-style cut-scenes with voice acting that you can laugh at.

"BUT BASS. WE ARE NOT ENEMIES! *mouth continues moving*"

The arcade games have graphics up to par with Mega Man 8, though are a bit more bland at times.

Gameplay:
All: 9

The gameplay in Mega Man is just about always the same. You are given a list of levels, and you choose which one you'd like to do first. After completing a level and beating its boss, you gain a new powerup. This type of linearity was very rare before Mega Man came around. Every boss is weak to a certain powerup. For example, if you beat Gutsman before Cutman, you can easily beat Cutman with Gutsman's power. After completing all the stages, you have to do a few last stages that test your skill based on what you've learn before. The end of the final stage has you facing off against the final boss *coughDr. Wilycough* and one of his huge machines. Beat that, you beat the game. Later installments give you more moves like the option to slide underneath something or fly temporarily. Mega Man 7 and 8 let you buy stuff like extra lives or an exit option in exchange for bolts.

Sound:
All: 5/10

Boomboomboomboomboom! Plink! Vroom...Auugh!! Muahahaha! Come on, Treble! Zztzzttzttt. The standard.

Music:
All: 10/10

I love this music! The music is always different, but they always manage to make it addictive. I've found myself humming along to a lot of the music. My favorite is possibly Wily's Castle level 1 in Mega Man 7 or the Bass fight in Mega Man 8.

Unlockables: 8/10

The unlockables are great. You can unlock 2 arcade games, an extensive interview with the creator of Mega Man, remixed songs and more. I've actually watched the interview quite a few times. I also love the gameplay in the arcade games. They never even came to the US before.

Replay value: 9/10

Ahem...10 games.

Difficulty:
All: 7/10

The difficulty is just right. Moderately hard without going overboard. Although I'm really hating that Yellow Devil in Mega Man 1.

Rent or buy: Buy

There's no way you'll be able to complete everything in just one rental. Do yourself a favor and buy this game. Play until you've beaten all the games and unlocked all the unlockables and bought everything in 7 and 8 and got all the hidden powers and gotten all the high scores in every mode of both arcade games. It's gonna be a long haul, by the way.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 07/20/04