Review by redskinStu

"Epitomizes everything wrong with the video game industry"

INTRODUCTION: Being a huge fan of the first Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon, maybe my expectations were too high for this "sequel." Then again, maybe GR 2 truly is a turd.

I bought this game brand new for $18, and feel that I was ripped off. I have since traded it in on a second hand copy of X-Files Season 4. GR 2 for Gamecube has no redeeming features.

GAMEPLAY: 1 out of 10. Yuck. What was UbiSoft thinking? GR was Game of the Year, so why did they change award-winning gameplay?

First of all, they changed the camera from first-person to third person, which I felt really hurt the game. In the first GR, first-person view added a lot of realism, point of view was better and aiming seemed more realistic.

Second of all, the difficulty is so extreme the game is almost unplayable. You will have trouble achieving any but the simples objectives.

The tone is set early by a rather difficult mission at the beginning of the game that included a time limit and enemy armor. Those types of missions should be later in the game, if at all.

Third, the enemies are steeped in cheap tactics, such as your entire unit being wiped out by grenades before you're even aware enemy units are in the area. Programmers should be careful about allowing things like enemy grenade throwers, because they can very quickly unbalance the game. Which is exactly what they do in GR 2.

STORY: 5 out of 10: The story is nothing spectacular. The plot is very similar to other Clancy fare. The basis is tensions rise between North and South Korea, and the Ghost unit is assigned to clandestine activity behind enemy lines.

However, another problem arises here: the enemy always seems to know you're coming. How can you make a video game about a clandestine special forces unit when the enemy always knows where you are? I thought the premise of this game was to sneak up on the enemy units and let 'em have it. I'll tell you how this happened: bad programming, bad effort etc.

GRAPHICS: 5 out of 10. I have to admit the graphics aren't that bad in GR 2 for Gamecube. If the first GR game had a weakness, it was definitely poor graphics. Well, GR 2 did as much as possible to remedy that.

There are fewer corners, fewer obvious polygons, the characters move realistically and look quite detailed as well. However, the graphics are nothing special.

Sounds effects and music are alright too, but again they are nothing special. Average at best, hence the score.

REPLAY VALUE: 1 out of 10. To be honest, I didn't play this game long enough to figure out what it's true replay value is.

However, judging by playing through the campaign mode once I've seen no evidence of any unlockables. That's nothing new about a Tom Clancy game, though.

OVERALL: 3 out of 10. This overall score may not necessarily be an average, but it is the overall impression I had of this game. I tried to find something positive about GR 2 and that would be the graphics.

However, I found far more negatives aspects to this game, including the third-person view which gives an arcade kiddy-game feel, unrealistic enemy difficulty, plot flaws and more. What this amounts to is one question: Is GR 2 for Gamecube fun to play? No, it is not.

Reviewer's Score: 3/10 | Originally Posted: 01/31/07