Review by Earth_Echidna

"Spyro just seems to get better and better!"

The joys of Spyro's amazing series: one of the most popular games of the PlayStation era, I was overjoyed to see Spyro arrive on the Gamecube for a second time with this decent little gem of a game.

Story: 6/10.
Unlike others, the storyline of this game is very short and simple: a forsaken dragon known as 'Red' is planting the Dark Gems all over the Dragon Realms, with his returning minion-of-sorts, Gnasty Gnorc, setting up his own minions to protect him. Somehow, the Professor learns of this, and asks Spyro to destroy them. A storyline that majorly gets to the point, and somewhat weird. In fact, I dismissed it as a pure 'What?' story in my youth, but you have to give it credit for attempting.

Gameplay: 8/10.
In my honest opinion, when picking up this game to replay, I believed it was quite easy in the main game. It, despite this, is extremely engrossing to play, with harder elements to the game, such as Sgt. Byrd's minigames, and Sparx's high-paced exploration. The control of this game is quite good (although Spyro does tend to walk about in circles sometimes randomly for me), and is extremely fluid.

Graphics: 9/10.
Whilst this game is not the best-looking game on the Gamecube, the graphics are all extremely beautiful. From the calming serenity of Dragonfly Falls or the dark gloominess of Crocovile Swamp, to Spyro's, Hunter's, and even Gnasty Gnorc's updated looks, all of the graphics have their own charm to them.

One of my favourite points of this game. The game's music is all very good and rather fitting to the environment, and the theme for the second boss is by far my favourite theme in the game. What irks me, however, is the fact that the boss theme is repeated for the other bosses. Every. Single. One.

Play Time/Replayability: 7/10
This game, despite how good it is, is rather short, only about ten hours long. However, the amount of times you can replay this game is astounding: there are still Light Gems and Dragon Eggs to collect. Even without this, I enjoyed this enough to replay the game several times, and it may be likely that you would as well.

Final Recomendation: Buy this game. It is likely sold for cheap on Amazon, but even so, this game is a worthy addition to your collection. Besides, I don't think you can rent it anywhere anymore.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 04/30/12

Game Release: Spyro: A Hero's Tail (EU, 11/26/04)