Review by Hecubusxx21

"Twilight Princess, we have been here before."

In the long history of Nintendo, a few things have always come with that name. One is the Mario line of games, and I'll let you figure out the other. Now before I get to my personal gripes about this game, I will say, it was fun. It is a very good game, by no other standards than what it brings in its gameplay.

Now unfortunatly, Nintendo did slip up a bit. There are many aspects of the game that feel rushed. Wolf form is dreadful. By the 3rd mandatory wolf quest line, I was ready to just stop playing because it was so tedious, and so unfun. Combat with the wolf is never evolved beyond target > attack > attack or the occasional charge attack > kill everything at once. The only time the wolf's mechanics are put to what I think are good use is its tracking and there are 1-2 times where digging is required to figure out certain puzzles. The other aspect that was just meh, was the horse riding portions of the game. Nothing great here, but its not bad either.

Now on to the gameplay. If you played OoT, you will instantly know what to expect. This is good and bad at the same time, we get the classic, tried and true gameplay we already love, but on the other hand, the entire game feels like "I already did this...". Every dungeon, with the exception of 1, is the EXACT same formula. Go find the weapon that you need to acess new areas, and use it to beat the boss. Reminds me a bit of the mega-man series. This wouldn't be bad except that outside of the dungeon you found the item, there is a good chance you won't be using it much ever again. MOST items are like that. I get this shiny new toy, that does somthing VERY situational, I used it to kill the boss, now I will put it in my bag and hold onto it till I need it that 1 time in the last dungeon. Difficulty is a big problem too. The game's puzzles will make you think, and some can be a bit challenging, but the combat is a joke. Enemy AI is horrible, and boss battles are just puzzles that the game tells you how to beat.

Sound... where do I start? Well, simply put, it's the same synth midi music from the N64. I expect more from my games. I will gladly accept no voice acting, but the music could have been so good if wit was fully orchestrated.

With all the stuff I said, I still enjoyed the game enough to give it an 8/10. I would say it was almost a 9. I have very mixed feelings about playing a game I already beat on the N64, but it's still so much fun. I don't see myself playing through a second time unless it is to play through without grabbing heart containers or somthing to make the game a bit more challenging. If you have a Gamecube, you should buy this game. It is not however a "system seller". Sorry Wii, but I need a really GREAT game to warrent a system purchase.

Sound - 6
Gameplay - 9
Replayability - 5
Fun - 10

Overall - 8.5/10

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 01/02/07