Review by Kuronii

"The Twilight is Beautiful"

Introduction:
============
Okay, so, at least some of the people reading this review know the history of the Legend of Zelda. For those who don't, here's some info. The game started out on the NES and was one of the first RPG's. It featured a large landscape to travel across, and enemies to defeat. Also, the graphics were very good for its time. Since then, it has evolved into this great series with incredibly beautiful graphics. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is said to be the best out of all the games in the Zelda series. It offers this well-told story of how there is this one person trying to rule the world with the power of the Gods, and how this hero must stop him. The Twilight Princess takes place at least a few hundred years after Ocarina of Time, and offers an equally well-told story. (Now for the actual game intro) You start out as this young man growing up in a village away from Hyrule Castle, living the life of a modest rancher. One day, he is to go to Hyrule Castle to deliver something, but monsters show up, and knock him out. When he comes to, there is this black wall in front of him, and a giant hand pulls him through the wall. in this different world, he suddenly transforms into a wolf, and falls unconscious. The creature drags him off. When he wakes up, he is chained in a jail cell, and after a while a small figure appears in front of him. After he escapes with the help of this creature, he finds out that his world is being engulfed in this evil power called "Twilight". His job: to restore light to the world to banish "Twilight". (That might have been too in-depth)

Gameplay : 9/10
=========
I have to say, the gameplay is great. I found that it was very easy to progress throughout the game without much trouble, and I died only three times on one file. The lands that I were able to travel in had many things to keep me occupied if I wanted to delay progressing through the story. The idea of going through parts of lands in your wolf form and then back again to your human form was a big plus. There are caves to explore, enemies everywhere that you have to defeat, and bunches of items to collect. After I beat the game, I found myself playing the other files as well, just so I could experience the full game again. The dungeons were well-made, with many rooms to do this or that, and were not too easy and not too hard. There are some points where you realize, "I forgot to do this", or "Oh no, do I have the necessary item to progress?". (I actually forgot the boss key in one dungeon, right in front of the Boss Room door.) Speaking of which, the Boss battles were nice, and most of them were very fun to play, and I was very disappointed when they were over. The controls for the Gamecube version were a little iffy, though. You had only two buttons to use items, whereas, in the Wii version, you had three. It could have been better in that aspect, but the rest of the gameplay was great.

=========
Ah, the story. I think that this was second-best only to Ocarina of Time. This game has a great story to tell. An evil force has been causing trouble throughout the lands, and you, the hero, have to stop him. The Twilight engulfing the land of Hyrule is causing people to become spirits in it, but they don't know that they are spirits, and think that nothing is wrong. You, however, the Hero Chosen by the Gods, do not turn into a spirit, but into a wolf. So you, of course, are the only person that can do anything about this, since you can run around in the Twilight without being affected. You must restore light to your land, and thwart the evil baddie causing all the mayhem. There are some twists there that made the game more intriguing, and they were often enjoyable. There are some parts of the story that I feel could have been explained a bit better, and left me with a feeling of dissatisfaction. There were only a few parts like that, and the rest were great. The ending is once again, fairly cryptic, so you, the gamer, have to figure it out for yourself.

Graphics/Sound: 10/10
==================
Wow. Just, wow. I think that this is the most beautifully made Zelda game out there right now. Everything looks so realistic and has such breathtaking views. The trees, the grass, the buildings, the shading; Everything is so very lifelike, and I don't think it could have been improved upon. The monsters and characters had such detail, that if I were to see them in real life, I wouldn't know the difference. The Bosses were also very well-made, and often, when given the chance, I would just stare at the Boss, just totally in awe of how beautiful it looked. The sound was good as well, and was well-coordinated with the movements of the characters, and the events throughout the game.

Play Time/Replayability: 9/10
======================
Well, the game takes about 15 hours to finish if you don't do any of the side-quests, and just do the story mode. About 18 hours if you do some of the side-quests. Around 22 hours if you do most of the side-quests, and take some time getting throughout each dungeon. It takes about 28 hours if you do all the side-quests, get all the items, get all the heart pieces, and take a little while to take in the beauty of the landscapes. I think that once you finish the game, you'll want to play it over again, like I have. There are some annoying parts to get through again, but is well worth it to play though the rest of the game.

Final Recommendation:
===================
Get this game, whether you rent it, buy it, borrow it from a friend, or whatever. This is a Zelda that you won't want to miss, and should never be neglected. So, with that said, I hope you have (or have had) a great time with this game!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/21/08

Game Release: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (US, 12/11/06)