Review by zack125

""Those who do not know the danger of wielding power will, before long, be ruled by it.""

In 2004, Nintendo showed us that would later become Twilight Princess. Ever since, Twilight Princess was the most hyped Zelda game to date. But does it live up to our expectations? That's what I'm going to describe.

GAMEPLAY
If you ever played a Zelda game, the gameplay shouldn't be much different. However, Twilight Princess does bring something new.

First off, the major change that appeared in this game is the wolf form. You can control Wolf Link pretty much the same way you can control Hyrulean Link. Except you can't do certain things you would normally do as Hyrulean Link such as assigning any items, you can't use you sword and shield. However, you do have your own unique abilities such as digging and using your wolf senses, which you would need to get through the quest.

I find that controlling Link as a wolf is quite innovative. And unlike A Link to the Past while in the Dark Realm, Wolf Link can actually do something to progress through the story. I know I said that earlier but I got to mention this again.

While as Hyrulean Link, you will learn some hidden skills to make battles easier. This is a bit like what The Wind Waker and The Minish Cap has been doing. However, in Twilight Princess, there is a total of seven hidden skill and only six of which you will need to howl at a stone while in wolf form. Doing so, a knight will appear on the overworld ready to teach you these special skills.

I find that at least three or four of these hidden skills are the most useful. I usually do not care about the rest but they still make a nice addition.

STORY
The quest begins when we see our hero, Link, in his hometown of Ordon. He has been asked to bring a sword to Hyrule Castle. On the day before Link departure, some monsters kidnap the children of the village and bring them into the curtains of Twilight. While Link tries to follow and rescue them, he also finds himself in the curtains of Twilight where he is transformed into a wolf. After this, a series of events will unfold and is up to Link to clean up the mess.

The story is pretty good at the beginning but almost dies after the fourth dungeon. Which is something I find disappointing because it had so much potential before then. If you've played a Zelda game before, you'll know that it'll eventually go down to three main characters. Something again I find a little disappointing because the game introduce us with a new main villain until you reach a plot twist.

GRAPHIC
As a GameCube game, the graphics are excellent. Everything is very detailed, as come to expect. Other than that, there's really not much to say.

REPLAYABILITY
I find that this game as a lot of replayability. You will want to play this game again and again. However, since the lack of story later in the game, I find that this game will get a bit boring after that. But there's still some nice sidequests to make up for that.

FINAL RECOMMENDATION
Buy. No questions about it. Hardcore Zelda fans will get a kick out of this and newcomers to Zelda will still find it a lot of fun.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 10/08/08, Updated 12/22/09

Game Release: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (US, 12/11/06)