Review by imagine606

"Fantastic game well worth the wait"

Waiting for this game to come out was about as frustrating as anything as far as video games go. From when it was announced it seemed like an eternity before it finally came out. However, when it did come out we were given the nice choice of being able to pick it up on the Gamecube, which is what it was initially intended for, or for the Wii. This review is going to focus entirely on the game for the Gamecube since while the game is pretty much the same, just reversed as far as the world and levels go, the actual gameplay is much different due to the different controllers that are used for each system.

The story itself is probably as good of a story as the series has had since Ocarina of Time. While the Windwaker had a good story to it, and Majora's Mask's story was pretty good as well, I prefer the story that Twilight Princess brings. As normal, I'm not going to go too far into the story so that I don't spoil anything for anyone, but it does involve a number of plot twists and in the end the story does a good job of making you feel like you've really gone somewhere throughout the course of the game.

As for the gameplay itself, the controls are very easy to figure out, even as you get into more advanced things, such as the sight for the bow and arrow and the different bombs. If you were able to control any of the previous 3 Zelda main platform games, then controlling this game should be no problem to you. However, if you did have trouble controlling those 3 previous games, then you should probably get your head checked, because it was very easy. The combat itself isn't painfully easy, but as with most of the recent Zelda games, it was still pretty easy, but there are several creatures that require you to really find a strategy on such as the poes. Another interesting thing that the gameplay brings along is the whole wolf thing. Early on it's actually a huge pain to be the wolf, but once you gain the ability to change from human to wolf and vice-versa it actually becomes something that makes the game a lot more fun. The only problem with it is the time it takes to change from one to the other, but it's really nothing that's too annoying.

The graphics and sound are very nice on this game. The graphics are about what you'd expect them to be knowing that they're not cell shaded graphics. Since you're adult Link during the game, you're pretty much a better version of the adult link from Ocarina of Time. There's a lot of really cool sounds in this game as well. I personally love a lot of the strange sounds that you hear throughout the game. The music is well composed, and while the sound isn't actually as good as it was with the Windwaker, the music itself is very enjoyable, not too annoying, but it has some good hooks. There's really nothing I can complain about at all as far as graphics and sound go, nothing that will blow you away, but nothing bad either.

Some of the other things that I feel help to make this a great game include the side-quests, of which there are plenty, and there are plenty that are very challenging as well. Also I love that this is another game where you have the main Hyrule field instead of taking a train or a boat around from place to place, that makes me feel much more connected with the world as a whole that the game takes place in. The dungeons are very well done with a variety of interesting things that you have to do in order to get through them, which makes it plenty exciting. There's a good sense of humor involved in the game, especially with the whole sumo wrestling thing. The bosses brought a challenge, but they were nothing too hard, which is good for someone like myself who is not a hardcore gamer by any means.

As a whole, this is a game that stands up there with just about any of the Zelda games. It's not quite Ocarina of Time, but it's not far off at all, and really no other game out there is Ocarina of Time. If you want a game that will give you some challenge without being overly frustrating at any point, then this is the game for you. Sure, there's parts that are a bit tedious, but that's really kept to a minimum here. This game, in my opinion, is a true classic, and I can't see it getting anything other than a 10.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 06/14/10

Game Release: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (US, 12/11/06)