Review by BimmyandJimmy

"The Zelda franchise proves that it can survive in a new generation."

Twilight Princes is a rather interesting game. To me, it seems to follow the same kind of path as A Link to the Past had set many years ago, adding its own special charm to an already popular series. Overall, Twilight Princess, while it's nothing really new for Zelda games, for what it does, it does it better than any other 3-D Zelda game released that I have played. Hell, even more so than Ocarina of Time.

The perfect example is the overall meat of the game, and that of course are the dungeons. To me, these are some of the best dungeons I have played in any Zelda game released. Not only do they have a somewhat special feel to them, just the overall variety and design is just creative and engaging. Luckily, while the game does dib and dab into backtracking from time to time, for the most part, everything felt linear and straightforward while, at the same time, adding a bunch of secrets and treasure for you to find in every single room.

Needless to say though, the bosses are once again relatively easy and once again un-subtle with their weak points. I take it that Nintendo was trying to purposely make them easiest for a couple reasons, mostly being because this game was also released for the Wii and they wanted to scale down the difficulty to make room for the experimental control scheme. Whatever the reason, while it can get rather disappointing, the action doesn't feel slow or sluggish in any way; everything moved in a nice, flowing order.

Either than that, the game plays out just like other Zelda game in the sense of running around a gigantic map, collection items, solving problems and wondering though dark, virgin structures. Collecting rupees are once again easy and unnoticeable as before, therefore concentrating on just completing the game isn't much of a hassle, nor does it get boring. You could just play for hours upon trying to find treasure and still not even come close to acquiring a quarter present in the game. It's just that big and adventures.

Twilight Princes follows closely to the story of A Link to the Past in many ways by mimicking its dark world/light world structure. Instead this time, rather than just rescuing random sages or spirits, you collect parts that help you defeat the final boss at the end of the game. It's a little different, but doesn't feel like a traditional Zelda story in my opinion. Actually, to tell you the truth, the story and feel of the game actually gave me sort of a Lord of the Rings kind of vibe that I didn't seem to get in the past games. It's hard to explain but that's what I though for most of the time playing the game.

Artistically speaking, the game feels rather big and bold, but not quite as emotional or dark as it was in Ocarina of Time. This game tries to replicate a few of those kinds of moments found in Ocarina of Time, but felt like they were trying too hard and came up a little flat. The game is still visually stunning however, creating such wonderful environments that fit the game perfectly, especially when you compliment it with the games creative soundtrack.

It's a Zelda game for everyone to enjoy, from beginners to the hardcore fans of the Zelda games.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 04/11/11

Game Release: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (US, 12/11/06)