Review by Shadows bud

"If you only get one DK platformer, make it this one."

Ahoy! There is a new Donkey Kong platformer! I, personally, thought I'd never see another new one, I thought we were stuck with the ports for the GBC and GBA. But I was so, so wrong. I'll tell you right now, this game is one of the most innovative I've seen lately, right up there with Pikmin and Sonic Advance 3. It also shows us a wonderfully strict combo system.

GAMEPLAY: Like I said, it's innovative. Even without the bongo controller (See? INNOVATIVE!), you can still perform wonderfully complex moves, although, it is a little harder without the music based peripherals. This game takes you through 40+ enviornments, each tougher than the last, and each with two areas, ending in a boss (For you retro game lovers, it'll be like the classic Sonic games.). During the levels, your mission is to collect "beats". Which can be obtained by grabbing bananas and, in some cases, insects. You can also perform combos, as mentioned earlier, which boost the number of beat points for each bannana aquired. I've seen people pull of up to eighteen combos, ending in an amazing amount of beats. At the end of each level is a hollow tree that DK puts all the beats into, you get a bronze one every time, a silver one for 400 beats, and gold for 800.

GRAPHICS: These are summed up in one word: astounding. Donkey Kong looks like a shiny plastic toy in Super Smash Bros.: Melee, but in this game he actually looks like a hairy ape. The enviorments are nothing to sneeze at, either.

SOUND: Great iif you're using a Gamecube controller, but you might not be able to hear every sound if you're using the bongos.
Anyway, the sound is really great in this game, too. You can almost hear every footstep.

STORY: There...there isn't one...But a game like this really doesn't need one.

LENGTH: I't not a long game it you're just going for gold medals, but platinum (1200 beats apeice) make take some time off your hands.

OVERALL: 10/10. Seriously, this game is awesome in the true sense of the word. If you don't have it, you're missing something great, so go out and buy it.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 05/24/05