Review by Mighty Oracle

"A neat little game, but it could have been better."

Nintendo's legendary game, Donkey Kong, has his own little game on the Nintendo Gamecube. Jungle Beat. I'll get to more information below, within the review.

Gameplay - 10/10

Actually, I enjoy the gameplay a lot in this game. The only flaw in the gameplay is the fact that using the Bongos hurt your hand excessively, but it's well worth it to use the bongos, the game is really fun! The gameplay is basically this: You run around and defeat any enemies you encounter using the Bongos. Also, you can only move left and right, and not diagonally. You can jump and clap above the Bongo Pads to obtain Bananas. This game is kind of similar to Yoshi's Story, only it's 2x better. You can even ride animal buddies, but none of the familiar ones from the older Donkey Kong games, unfortunately. Riding the animal buddies is quite fun, though, as you have to repeatedly beat the Bongo Pads like there's no tommorow to ride one. Also, fighting bosses in the game is quite fun as well, especially considering how much of a challenge some of them are. Overall, the jumping wall to wall, vine to vine, and pounding the enemies was my favorite part of the game, because you had to use the Bongo Pads, and that's the fun part about this game. Also, in each level, you had to do a mini-game like thing where you had to pound the Bongos as fast as possible to collect as many Bananas as possible. The more Bananas you have at the end of a level, the more medals you get, and that means more levels unlocked. Overall, the gameplay isn't bad, and I give it a definite 10 out of 10.

Graphics - 9/10

The graphics, like in all Nintendo games, are nothing special, but they are 2-D, and actually aren't that bad. They are some of the best 2-D graphics I have seen in a game (Not that I have played much 2-D games, but I've played a few, such as Super Mario RPG and Super Mario World), honestly. Donkey Kong is very well drawn, and looks exactly like Donkey Kong, with no flaws. The level designs are quite good as well, and the items in the game don't look that bad, either. Some parts in the game aren't as good as they could be, but they aren't that bad, either, as I've said above. Overall, the graphics are actually pretty neat!

Sound/Audio - 6/10

Nothing at all special here, the sound of this game is nothing at all remarkable or impressive. The sounds are very annoying to me, and there were only a few that I liked. I liked the sounds that it made when you beat the enemies/bosses to death with the Bongo Pads, and when you beat the Bongo Pads in the mini-game in each level to get Bananas. Other than that, there's not much I appreciated about the sound. As far as the music comes, it's a bit better than the sound, but it's not the best I've seen in a game. The music is a lot better than the sound, though, I'll tell you that. Some of the music pretty cool.

Difficulty - 9/10

Actually, the difficulty of this game is quite high, which makes it a fun game. In the beginning levels, you will have a very easy time of it, whereas in the latter levels of the game, you have an extremely hard time of it. The difficulty is what makes a game fun, though, but not if it's insanely difficult, right? Well, this game isn't so difficult where it's nearly impossible to beat a level, it just brings in a challenge every now and then. For example, some of the bosses are extremely hard and tedious to fight, whereas some of them are just plain out pushovers. Nevertheless, despite the game being pretty difficult as some points, it's nothing too hard to make you wanna throw the Bongo Pads down. The difficulty was just right, in my opinion; nothing too hard, nothing too easy. Just like a game's difficulty should be.

Story - 1/10

No story in this game, except you collect Bananas and kill enemies. Go figure.

Replay Value - 4/10

Unless you want to unlock everything in this game, the game has no real Replay Value, because it may even get boring before you even beat the game. There is no multiplayer in this game, either, so that also decreases the Replay Value of the game in my opinion, and unless you are a player with the patience it takes to beat the game, I'm sure you won't find much Replay Value in the game yourself. Sure, trying to get a better score in each level adds a bit to the Replay Value, but it's still not as good as it could be.

Overall - 8/10

The game could have been better, but we have what we have, right? The gameplay, as I said above, was excellent, and a pure work of art. Killing all of the enemies/bosses with the Bongos was just a blast. I could sit there and play the game all night, because of the Bongo Pads, seriously. As far as the graphics come, as I mentioned above, they are nothing too incredibly special, but they are one of the best graphics in a 2-D game that I have seen. The characters are very well drawn, and I'm not exaggerating even the slightest bit. The characters did look very very good, and the level designs aren't bad at all, either, so no loss as far as graphics come. Now, for the difficulty, it's not that bad, it's just perfect. The game was never too hard, or never too easy. Sure, the game may get frusterating at some points, but that's all games, right? As I said many times in this review, the difficulty is very nice, and in no way makes me want to quit altogether. Some of the confusing parts are the only parts that ever prompted me to take a break for a few hours. Other than that, the difficulty isn't too incredibly tough, I assure you. The sound was not very good in the game, as I stated above, it was actually more annoying than anything, and there was hardly a sound in this game that I appreciated. The music, on the other hand, was actually much better, and was actually kind of cool! The story of the game, you ask? Well, there is no story, unfortunately, except that as Donkey Kong, you kill enemies and collect Bananas. Overall, the game was good, but it could have been better, as I've played better Donkey Kong games in my life, honestly.

The game is still good, nonetheless, and I will one day write a FAQ for this game. Any game that makes me want to write a FAQ in no way sucks, so the game is pretty good, just could have been a bit better, as I was quite disappointed in this game, but hey, we have what we have. Overall, I give this game an 8 out of 10.

Buy or Rent

You can rent this game at Blockbuster most probably, but unfortunately, I don't think you can rent it with the Bongo Pads, so just buy the game if you want the Bongo Pads. Still, I strongly suggest renting this game first to see if you like it, then decide if you are to buy it or not.

And that's the end of the review. I hope you enjoyed this review, and I hope it gave anyone who was wanting to try it an opinion on whether or not they should get it.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 12/24/05