Review by theEqualizer

"A Diamond in the Rough"

If you have been following my reviews you would know that I haven't done one in a while. Well, I'm back (with a new scoring table as well!) and hopefully I will write more... we'll see what happens. (World of Warcraft ate up a lot of my time, but I've quit for the time being). Anyway, Chaos Field is a shoot-em-up recently released here in the U.S. Most wouldn't expect from this game since it's a lot budget shooter from an unknown company. But surprisingly, I found this game to be one of the most enjoyable shooters I have played in a long time and it was one of the few games that pulled me away from World of Warcraft.

Chaos Field has a unique gameplay style to it. You can fire bullets just like any normal shooter and bullets come at you at an alarming rate. In fact, the bullets come at you in such a way where they almost seem undodgeable. But that's where your sword comes in. Yes, that's right, you have a sword. The ability to slash bullets in front of you and slash at your enemies makes the game a whole lot more fun. Beware, some bullets can't be slashed of course so your going to have to dodge eventually. The fact that there are some points in the game where you must switch between slashing and firing, going into a pseudo-offensive mode and a psuedo-defensive mode where you must slash just to stay alive make the game very fast paced and exciting.

Your shield is also a big help to your survival. Depending on who you choose, your shield can block any "slashable" bullets. Hal throws out a disk in front of him which I dubbed "The Door" because it literally makes a door in a wall of bullets for you. Ayumi has a rotating shield around her that can block many bullets (My personal choice). Jinn shoots many disks out from him, but they last shorter than Hal's.

Chaos field also features very little... ahem... "trash mobs" (Sorry , that's the World of Warcraft coming out in me). What I mean is, Chaos Field is a series of boss fights. Three bosses in each of the five levels for a total of fifteen intensely fun bosses. I promise, if you play this game around your friends, they will be impressed. To give you an example of what these bosses require of you, there is a boss that has 3 sets of attacks. In two of the waves you must slash the slashable bullets and dodge the "pinks" as I call them in order to survive. In the last wave, he fires many slashable bullets and a wave of pinks. You must put out your shield and fire at him at this time in order to kill him.

Also there is the whole concept of "switching fields" between the Normal Field and Chaos Field (The game's namesake). To make a long story short, in the Chaos Field things are... chaotic. The bosses fire way more bullets then they did before, but, your shield gets a boost and much more effective then it was before. Also, your lock on attack can hit bullets (A waste in my opinion). In addition, you laser is much more powerful and effective. Some bosses are much easier when fought in the Chaos Field and some are much easier in the normal field. I might even go as far to say that some are impossible in their respective fields.

The graphics are a little less stellar than comparable games this generation, but they are not that bad in retrospect. Some of the laser effects look 2Dish and bland but overall I didn't really care about the graphics as I was focused on the gameplay. Most low budget shooters like this don't really have good graphics anyway.

I loved the soundtrack in this game. It's filled with many rock/techno tracks that fit the game very well. The music can really get you in the mood sometimes when fighting a certain boss.

Replay: 4/5

This game has got a lot of things to make you come back. Beating the game itself will take a while as each boss has a certain strategy to it that takes many deaths to figure out. As you play through old bosses even they are fun as your finding new ways to better your score and push the envelope. Once you beat the game you might not come back, but you can always go back and beat your high score.

Overview:

– Refreshing slash mechanics and new tricks.
Graphics: 7/10 – Nothing that will make you jump up.
Sound: 10/10 – Soundtrack fits very well with the game.
Replay: 4/5 – Like any shooter, this game has good replay.

Overall: 46/50 = 92% = A-.

Bottom Line:
This will be a refreshing change if your used to Gradius, R-Type, etc.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 09/26/06