Review by Glutted

"How does this compare to the movie?"

I have been a long-time fan of the King Kong movies. I saw the original, and then I watched the remake, which came out in 2006. I loved it. In fact, I loved it so much that I went one step further and purchased (stay with me, the name is really long) “Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie”. Peter Jackson is the same movie director that made The Lord of the Rings movies.

Peter Jackson never has ideas of his own, it seems. He made a movie out of the LOTR books, and he remade the King Kong movie. He also decided to make games out of his new movies.

Storyline: 10/10

This takes place in the time of the American depression. You are Jack Driscoll. You are going to an island with a filmmaker and a bunch of other people to film a profitable movie there. But the island contains evil natives, dinosaurs, and the dreaded King Kong.

Sound/Music: 8/10

The voice acting is not excellent, but still tolerable. They did not take the voices directly from the movie. Your partners mostly talk to you to give you hints, tips, and advice; not just talk about what is going on. When you are stuck in an area, they will tell you what you should do. There is music in some of the cutscenes, but none during the gameplay.

People have mixed opinions about the gameplay. You might love it, might hate it, or you might be somewhere in between. I personally like it because it makes the makes the game a lot more realistic.

You are in first person mode. You play from the perspective of your character. There is no health bar or ammunition count displayed on the screen; I find that more realistic. This game has its frustrating moments, but they would be a lot more frustrating if your pals weren't giving you hints.

You will use guns to defeat dinosaurs. Occasionally you will find wooden spears laying around that you can use to hurl at enemies. Ammo for guns is extremely scarce. But Captain Hayes will toss you new weapons all the time. Most of the time, you will find yourself using spears or just running away when you run out of ammo. You will sometimes need to find an item, such as a wooden lever, to get to the next area.

They used some movie footage as an introduction before you start the game: but that is the only time. The graphics are average. Nothing special. The thing I found most annoying is that your friends' mouths don't move when they are talking. The game also isn't very colorful. You will mostly be seeing gray, black, red, but you barely see any green. The island it supposed to be a jungle, but you spend most of your time in dark, torch-lit manmade caves.

The movie is generally better than the game. This game is full of frustrating moments. You are also likely to get dizzy from going in circles and looking for the levers to open doors (it's even happened to me). Thankfully, the game does follow the plot of the movie relatively closely. The puzzles and enemies get HARD, starting around the middle of the game. I hate to say this, but this game really holds more frustration than fun. You might find it weird that I rate a game an 8 out of 10, but still don't recommend it. That is because it is hard and frustrating. If you are a big King Kong fan, you may want to buy this. It will bring back old memories of the original King Kong. But make sure it's for the right price…

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 06/03/06