Review by Lurking_Evil

"Mario hits a homer in the newest edition of his Sports series."

Well, being my first reveiw on Gamefaqs, I'm going to be a professional as I can.

The main course:
Graphics: 9.5/10
The graphics in this game are stunning. Truly something to behold on the Gamecube, this game truly demonstrates the GC's graphical capabilities, now why cant all Gamecube games be like this? In short, stunning.

The whimsical voices and the clear cracks of the bat make it feel as if someone was actually cracking a homer right next to you. The background music is whimsical and full of life, with a twist of old-fashioned baseball tunes spinoffs. The short, and extravagant, music pieces make you feel like this hit should really count. The only problem I have with the sound is that there should have been more of it.

Gameplay: 7.5
The solid gameplay is hard to deal with at first, but you will pick it up eventually. Personally, I think a fast-paced game should have responsive controls. The batting, running, stealing, dashing and bunting are nice, but the game lacks in one of the most crucial places: The aim. Most of the time, you train to aim from midfield to second base, and end of throwing the ball to home. The catches that could potentially save you (triggered by pressing the A button) usually make you jump rather than dive for the ball. The gameplay is deep, making room for complex plays, strategies, and surprise comebacks.

It's a Mario game. In 'Challenge Mode', Bowser and his band of crazy cronies wants to test their might against, who else? You. You run around defeating rival teams and coaxing the other teams' characters to join you instead of staying with their respected teams by completing various in-game missions. You also run around to mini-game spots, challenge them, and hopefully win to get more coinage.

The side-orders:
Replayability: High
There are many 'Star Missions' to complete for each character in 'Challenge Mode'. With 6 characters to unlock and all these challenges, you'll strive to complete these challenges and reach the pinnacle of your skills.

Fun factor: Extreme
This game will have you playing it for HOURS ON END. The mini-games are competitive and addictive. Playing with friends and family only adds to the fun, making for hours of gameplay.

AI: Cheateriffic
I'm sorry, but the AI in this game cheats every chance it gets. The fielding is perfect with exact precision, making impossible things seem possible. They also get a hit whenever it really needs it, regardless of your Star pitches, curveballs, and fastballs.

The Check:
This game is great, but if your looking for a solid baseball game, do not get this game. If your like me, and like the arcade-style sports games, or are a fan of the Mario Sports series, you'll love it.

Worth Paying for?: Yes, for the arcade/Mario sports fan.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 09/01/05