Review by LordZhugeLiang

"The Pacman, Manny Pacquiao!"

I've played a lot of boxing games, but I never bought any of them. But this one is very good. I had a chance to play it at my friend's house, and from then on, I was hooked. What's even better is that it has Super Punch-Out!!, a game that I own. I can't play it though, since it's cartridge batteries died out, but now I can with FNR2.

This is where this game shines. The haymaker is one of the best to knockout your opponent. It's almost like real life now. You pull back on your C-Stick, then push it forward to smack you opponent in the head. The controls are smooth, but when I try to connect some punches, it looks a little sloppy. Also new is the Cutman. When the Round ends, you have to heal your boxer by help reduce the swelling and blood.

It's good, but not that good. All the boxers look like their real life counterparts. The blood looks more realistic, and when they fall, it's not so jiggly anymore. The sweat needs a little work though. When you punch him in the face, the sweat looks like it's coming from all over his face. But the graphics are still great.

The sound is okay. The punches sound like they should. But the music is sometimes repetitive. They should've added more artists and/or songs to mix it up a bit.

Replayability: 9/10
The career mode will definitely take your free time. Even after you have all the belts, you can still keep going and defend your championship titles.

Roster 8/10
It's missing some boxers like De la Hoya, but other than that, the roster is fine. And Little Mac is a okay unlockable, but he looks very, very weird.

Rent or Buy?
If you are a boxing fan, this is a definite must-buy. If not, you should give it a try if you are into the fighting genre.

Overall: 9.3

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 03/28/05