Review by OmegaMewtwo

"It starts out fun, but....."

Ever wanted to play the bad guy in all those Hollywood police chases? Send 25 police cars crashing into oncoming traffic and each other like some carpocalyptic pinball game at 120MPH? Drive exotic cars you have almost NO CHANCE of EVER buying on your own?! This game gives you the chance to do ALL that - plus TONS more!

Simply put, this is one of the most addicting non-RPGs I have ever played. The sheer excitement and white-knuckle thrills of this game keep calling me back to it, especially the fact that I can drive a ton of expensive cars like they're made to take a licking and keep on ticking! We're talking Lamborghinis, Porsches and other high-powered cars! The ONLY disappointments I have about the car roster are:

1. They have the Lamborghini Gallardo and Murcielago, but where's the Countach?

2. Where's the Ferrari Testarossa?

3. Why not make the game more interesting by including SUVs, like Underground 2?

4. Why not put police veichles in Bonus cars, like the semi-sequel Carbon has?

But all of these things become minor once you get into the game. From the moment Razor takes your car and leaves you as jailbait, you become totally immersed in the story of the game via frequent text and voice messages from Mia, rivals, even Cross and Razor! Factor in your pal Rog and you've got the story all around you!

The races are really fast and the ones with opponents other than the clock are very challenging, but not to the point of frustration.....on the XBox 360. On the GameCube - however - you will be pulling your hair out once you become #5 on the Blacklist. Not because the races are too long, not because the turns are too sharp, it's because the AI is so smart by this time! And WHO can go through a curvy section at 200MPH? Certainly not you as you smack into 27 different objects, but your opponents put together almost perfect runs at the later stages of the GC version of this game.

The pursuit challenges are good and the police AI isn't overly hard to deal with.....again, on the XBox 360. On the GC, you will be so frustrated, especially when you get to Heat Level 5. I know they have Corvettes, but they seem like they weigh 10 tons apiece! But even Civic Cruisers can be cheap on the 'Cube. By the time you get your BMW back, you'll be busted about 50 times.....unless you're quick on the reset button!

The Challenge Series is good and adds a different dimension to the game. About half the challenges are pursuits and the other half toolbooth time trials. Challenging yet do-able.....on the XBox 360. On the GameCube, they can be a source of frustration, especially when every cop in Rockport seems to want to stop you from reaching that next checkpoint!

Overall, if you want a solid version of this game, I'd buy the XBox360 version. In fact, you may get a copy of this game if you buy an XBox360, I did when I got mine for Xmas! If you do find this game with your 360, consider yourself one of the lucky ones and enjoy the best version of this game. If you buy this for GameCube, well, you have my sympathies. Between the uprise in difficulty, the amazingly cheap AI, the increasingly aggro cops and the sub-par graphics, the GameCube version lacks the staying power of the XBox 360 version.

XBox 360 - 9/10