Review by ikilledmarilyn

"So...that's it?"

So...that's it?

Let me start off by saying that so far I've absolutely loved the Tony Hawk franchise, though I feel it truly reached it's peak with THUG 1. THAW is not a bad game, but by now it seems that the franchise as a whole is really running out of steam.

To put it simply, the graphics are just sub par. With lots of glitches and skipped frames, it just does not meet the standard. The gamecube is capable of so much more yet it seems the developers just went with what has worked so far in the past.

The sound track is decent, though it'd be nice if they could have gotten the actual Misfits songs rather than just covers. Tony Hawk has been consistent with their ability to license good (or atleast halfway decent) music for his games and for that I am appreciative.

I know what you're thinking. A four may seem like a pretty low score but let's be honest here folks-the gameplay hasn't changed much at all since THUG 1. Yes, the game play is fun. Yes, I had fun doing it, but it's really just a cookie cutter copy of THUG 1 and 2. It works, but it's not impressive. Another thing...this game is ridiculously easy. I do not consider myself to be a master Tony Hawk skater by any stretch, but even Sick (aka difficult) mode proved to be only a slight challenge. However my main beef is that this 'free roaming, no loading' world of Los Angeles we were supposed to experience is probably one of the biggest let down in gaming history. sure, there's no loading screens HOWEVER there is an annoying ass tunnel that connects all the sections of the city. You can avoid these of course, by taking the bus. A novel idea...however it takes about the same time to travel by bus as it would to load a new level. Lamesauce.

The story is a definite improvement over THUG 2, though in my opinion that's not a far fetched goal to attain. You start off as a nobody who just got off the bus in LA. One thing leads to another and eventually you end up running with a crew of homeless misfits who like to steal things that aren't theirs for their skatepark. Shame! Anyway, the story line was a fun little look at what the world would be like if you could really live in a half pipe, steal large signs without fear of repercussion, and fall long distances without a single hospital visit.

Dialogue: 1/10

MADNESS!!

It sucks, period. One point kudos for getting Eric from Boy Meets World to be the main protagonist. That's it.

Customization: 3/10

There is very little to choose from in the realm of clothing. Also, for some reason or another a lot of the skate companies just aren't featured. Where is Zero? Where is Girl? I was sorely disappointed when I was not able to have my skater wielding a Zero deck. I did like that I could create my own graffiti graphic however.

Final Score: 4/10

This game just did not meet up to the standards for most TH fans. Definitely worth a rent for those just seeking to test it out, but do not buy it based on the name alone.

Reviewer's Score: 4/10 | Originally Posted: 09/27/06