Review by Hydrano

"Fairly good face value, but god almighty, is it...dull"

Tony Hawk's American Wasteland

What the crap is this? The story is unique, but originality doesn't make something good. Case in point. You're getting pieces for your skate land-I'm sorry- Iggy's skate land. Now Iggy is a bad boy, but he, for whatever reason, has a soft spot for you. You do a bunch of things that are just plain confusing in terms of getting pieces. Like grinding...upwards...FAST and gaining speed. Ah well. You get the girl-whom you have no real chemistry with- in the end. Yay?

The graphics ARE pretty good. The models aren't very muddy and they are distinct, though THUG2 was better. Less colourful, for sure. The graphics aren't bad, but Iggy seems to be unibrow or just plain...ick....

Alright, here's more songs you've never heard of but will grow to like. There's some Public Enemy, some Green Day, even an awesome song by An Endless Sporadic. The sound FX are alright, but repetitive.

Content: 7/10
There is a fair amount of stuff to do. However, it all gets old quick. The skate mechanics are a bit too loose, as it's nearly impossible to do a move where you push the stick to the side or diaganol without spinning, messing up your move. Also, there's some things that disturb me. Why can you jump off a 20 story building, and land with just a little roll? Why don't you bail? And why do you climb a ladder with an invisible board if you're walking without your board? And why can't you pick your character's details better? You choose from 4 pre-set MALE skaters. That's right, this game isn't female-friendly. All women on this game have large busts and few clothing choices. They all look like whores, sadly.

Considering I payed $50 bloody dollars two days after it came out, having traded in a bunch of games, this was a huge letdown. Rent this, don't buy it like me. I mean, I got ripped. I traded like 8 games for this throw-away. They rushed this game.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 11/21/06