Review by papercup

"I was expecting too much..."

I've been a fan of the Tony Hawk series for what seems like forever... and for the last few games the series has been waining. And the first tiem I heard they were going to make this one a giant, free-flowing, one level game, I was estatic. But I realize now that I was just expecting too much from the game, and that's why I'm kinda disapointed in it.

They added lost of new tricks this time, but at a price... it is now harder to walk around on foot, juming up walls is mind numbingly hard, and you have to hold "R" to run up some walls, and then grab onto the ledge, wich can take several, several tries beofre completing. Also, durring one mission, you have to switch to "Nollie" and then jump over a huge gap. But it's EXTREMELY hard, because you have to tap the C-stick up 2 times, and then quickly move your thumb back to "A", all the while, steering your self around a corner. The BMX bikes are a blessing, and a curse. while it does offer the oppertunity to ride something besides a skatebord, the controls are very hard to get used to. Because your are probably used to holding down on the control stick to slow down on the skateboard, doing that on the bike will put you into a manual instead. So you have to stop halding down "A", and instead switch to "R" beofore you can stop. And whenever you come out of a vert trick, you'll be riding the bike backwards, and you must either press "Z" to revert, or go into some goofy balance trick.

When you are skating, the graphics are fine, there is nothing wrong with them, but during the various cutscenes, the characters look so glitchy, it just irritates you.

Sound/Music: 10/10
This is the redeeming quality to the game. Most of the songs on the track are great, but then again, knowing Activision, their bound to put some completely dumbass songs that just blow your mind as to why they would put that in there. But, thankfully, they put the all-to-important option to take that song off your playlist in it. Now I don't have to listen to that "I Like Dirt" song, thank God.

That story is pretty good actually. At least, it's a TON better than THUG 2's. What it's about is, this guy moves to L.A. so he can skate, and make a living. He runs into a bunch of misfits and joins there group, wins an AM comp, gets his group lead thrown in jail, joins a few other underground skate teams... blah blah blah, and eventually, makes the greatest skate park ever.

Replay Value: 7/10
After you beat it, you still have alot of stuff to do, like complete Classic Mode, and whatnot. But also, you can now skate around freely forever. so, yeah, it gets boring after a while, but it will still keep you entertaned for along time. Can you try to combo the whole city?

Overall Score: 7/10
This is a good game, but the advertisements to me, are a complete lie. They said the game is one open-ended, giant level, but it is basically, a bunch of small levels, connected be a bunch of tunnels. I was hoping for just one, giant level, instead some small levels conjoined together. Also, they say no loading times, but when you are nearing the end of a tunnel, you come to a door that leads to the next area, but sometimes it can take a long time for the door to open, but it has t load the area. Oh well, mabey they can make a TH game truly open ended on the Rev/PS3/XB360.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 10/24/05