Review by superflyMcswift

"Why don't they just call it THUG 3???!!!"

Back in the day when Tony Hawk's Pro Skaters 1 and 2 used to be a big hit, I would be in my room for what seems to be months playing the games on and off. I remember the gameplay being so up to date and smooth. So why is my score for this game so average? A conglomerance of over used ideas and out dated gameplay is what brings my score down so low.

Graphics:6/10-When I look back on the first THUG, I remember there being crisp, clean polished graphics with very original character models. However when I popped in THAW, I was greatly dissapointed. Textures were flat and bland, and had a pastey feel to them. Buildings were blocky and uninspired. Not to mention that the game dosn't really feel like Hollywood or Beverly Hills, or wherever you go. It just feels like giant skate park, not a city. Since when dose a city have an abundance of random vert and kicker ramps lying around for you to legally skate on? Character models are not any better. The same pastey feel that was wrong with the enviorment has been transfered to the characters in the game. Facial details are absent. No complection, no expression, nada. Although story mode and create-a-skaters were fully customizeable, that does not help it pull it out of the hole.

Sound:9/10-Very reconizeable names in both rock and punk rock are present. (Green Day, My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy just to name a few.)
There's also rap/hip hop present, but I never heard of any of the artists. Although the collection of music is great, the voice acting is very stereotypical. Nuff said.

Gameplay:7/10-Ah, there is just nothing new to offer with THAW. Sure, the story has changed slightly. The goal of story mode? To build the best skatepark in the world called, you guessed it, American Wasteland. Single player objectives are all from the past Tony Hawk games: Get SKATE, find the hidden tape, get COMBO, etc. Some old levels have been brought back, but what does that matter? The game itself already feels too old to play anyway!

Conclusion:Well if you love the franchise THAT much, then go ahead and buy it. However, for those of you who loved the old THPSs, then rent it. You won't find anything new since THPS 3.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 11/23/05