Review by Super Slash

"This game is a huge improvement from the previous game."

I'm a big fan of the Anime-like series of TMNT. The first game that was based off of the new cartoon was released for the PS2/PC/GCN. Later on after that, the second game, Battle Nexus, got released. Just this year (2006), this game got released. It was a great game, to say the least.

The story is kind of based off of the series itself. It sort of has three different stories. Each episode has a different story. Episode One's story is like this: the Triceratons in space are still persistent on trying to kidnap the Fugitoid, to use him for their own evil ways. The Turtles must battle the Triceratons, and help save the Fugitoid. Episode Two is about this mysterious man named Bishop. Bishop wants to capture the Turtles to use their own DNA to create more evil into the world. Bishop's men dropped out some Sonic Emitters into the Turtles' lair, which caused Splinter to have a severe headache. The Turtles must find out who is in charge of that, and when they encounter Agent Bishop, they attempt to stop him and the huge monster he created.

Episode Three is about the one and only Shredder (aka Oroku Saki). Shredder has found a huge starship that he plans to use for his own. He plans to enter the starship to launch out into space so that he can settle the score with the Utroms on their homeworld. Once the Turtles and Splinter find out about this, they attempt to do anything they can to prevent Shredder from destroying the Utroms, and their own homeworld!

Unlike the previous game, Battle Nexus, this game actually has quite a few improvements. You start the game by choosing the first episode. There are three episodes in all. In each episode, you have to complete Missions. There are a certain amount of Missions in each episode before you complete that episode and move on to the next one. In each Mission, you find several stuff, like recovery items, Ninja Scrolls, and DVDs. The Ninja Scrolls are used to upgrade your Turtles. You can also upgrade each Turtle using the Crystals you find after killing each enemy. Upgrading your Turtle helps him a lot. You can buy stuff, technically, using Crystals. You can buy new combos to use, along with new skills. At the end of every Mission, all of the Crystals you collected add up, and add to your current collection. As you go through the game, you'll unlock various features.

These features include stuff such as the TMNT IV: Turtles in Time Arcade game, the Challenge Mode, and more. You also unlock more combos and skills for you to buy with each Turtle, and you unlock passwords sometimes, too. There's also a Free Battle mode which can be played in all episodes. In Free Battle mode, you walk around a big level, defeating enemies, while collecting Crystals, Ninja Scrolls, and DVDs. At the start of the level in Free Battle mode, there's a green pad you step on to end the level. After you collect as much Crystals as you want, and once you're done bashing enemies and the like, you have to return to the green pad in order to stop the Free Battle level. The Arcade game was completely modified, and is not worth playing, in my opinion. Overall, though, the gameplay had quite a few new aspects that makes this game worth playing even more.

The graphics are good for a game like this. This game actually shows real cutscenes from the actual cartoon, although I noticed the graphics on those cutscenes are a little fuzzy. This game also features movie-like cutscenes, but the graphics are a bit...odd, on those cutscenes. I like the graphics overall, however.

This game has decent sounds, but they're nothing too special. When you use an attack, you hear a swinging sound, just like most other games. Also, you hear the sound of something breaking when you break stuff such as boxes. But I think you get the picture. The sound is okay.

Music: 7/10

Again, the music is okay. It actually doesn't have that much music, from what I've heard (it's kind of hard to hear music when you're constantly bashing tons of enemies with three other Turtles helping you), but in some of the cutscenes, the music is sometimes the same as it is in the cartoon. This game has decent music, but I've seen better before.

Replay Value: 8/10

After you beat all three episodes, if you didn't do it on your first run through the game, it's always fun to go back and get all of the Ninja Scrolls and DVDs you were missing. You could also always replay the other levels, or Free Battle, to get more Crystals to finish upgrading your Turtles. And there's always other ways to play the game, such as the Challenge Mode, or even the TMNT IV: Turtles in Time Arcade (assuming you can handle the major changes to the game). This game has a bit of replay value, overall.

Buy or Rent?

I say buy. If you like Action-type games, then this is the game for you. Also, if you've played the previous TMNT games in the past, then you'll also like this one. If you're not a fan of Action games, and if you've never played a TMNT game, then I'd simply suggest renting the game first.

After reviewing this whole game and after beating the game once, I'd have to say that I give this game an eight out of ten. As I said before, if you like Action games or TMNT games, go ahead and give this game a try. Believe me, it's much more of an improvement since the previous game. Until my next review, everybody!

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 12/08/06