Review by tnargyerfdog7

"Who needs wheels when you've got air"

This is my first review ever and I've got one thing to say...This game is GREAT!! I didn't think I would like it that much, since I don't really like racing games. Man, was I wrong. It is so totally AWESOME! Now on with it.

Story Line: 8/10
Well it starts off like this. Eggman host the EX World Grand Prix, an air board racing tournament, to retrieve the seven Chaos Emeralds and find the secret treasure of the ancient Babylonians. He hires three experienced racers to retrieve the emeralds. Jet the Hawk, Wave the Swallow, and Storm the Albatross. It's good, but I've seen better.

Graphics:9/10
The graphics are great! Better than Shadow the Hedgehog (the game). The best I've ever seen in a Sonic game. Though not the best part of the game. The gameplay is.

Sound:9/10
Not much rock music in this game, if any at all. It's mostly techno. But the music is great! The SFX isn't too bad either. In fact, it GREAT! That's why I gave the sound a 9/10.

Voice Acting(VA):8/10
4Kids are the VA'ers for this game, but they aren't bad at all. It's also a plus if you're used to those voices. Omochao's voice isn't bad either, despite what other people say. It gets an 8 out of 10.

Control:7/10:
The reason controls got a 7 is because it takes a while to get used to them. 10-15 minutes for an advanced gamer, 30 for the casual Sonic gamer, and up to an hour for new beginners.

Gameplay:10/10:
The best part of the game. You go really fast. Up to 600 mph at some points. I think there is only one place to go that fast though. You usually go around 200. You have an air tank which is basically fuel. You can perform tricks or go to air pits to get more air. If you run out of air, you begin to run. The maximum speed while you are running is 150 mph. But you could go off of a ramp or a pit to get more air while you are running. There are three different types of characters. Speed, flight, and power. Speed characters can grind rails and pipes. Flight characters can go through flight rings to boost speed and air. Power can smash through obstacles on the track. Speed characters have higher speeds. Flight have more acceleration. Power lose less speed than the others while going over rough parts of the track. There are four different attributes for each board and character. There is dash, which is acceleration. Limit, which is speed. Power, which is how fast you go over rough parts of the track. And cornering, which is how good you can go around sharp turns. There are three types of gear. Boards, skates, and bikes. You only start out with boards. You have to unlock the other two. But I'm not going to spoil it for you. There are also parts on the track where your character automatically goes through the track( most of it has to do with rotation). During this period you can twist the control stick to gain more air. The faster you twist the control stick, the more air you get. Before a race, you choose your character and then your gear. After you choose the track, that is.

Replay Value:10/10
This game has A LOT of replay value. There are two different Grand Prixs that are hard to get gold on. There is a lot of gear to unlock. There is a mission mode after you beat story mode that is sometimes challenging to get gold on. There are 9 characters excluding the 7 you start with. That's nine characters to unlock.

Rent or Buy
Buy. If you like Sonic, racing, and fun this game is for you. Also if you like speed or smashing cars on the highway. Rent if you are still not sure if you'll like this game.

Overall, this game gets a 9/10. To get a 10 it would have to be absolutely perfect. It would have to have everything you want in it. Everything in it would have to be flawless. Thus concludes my review. Goodbye.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 02/27/06