Review by Chaos_Keychain

"Grab A Hover Board And A Pair Of Goggles And Hold On Tight."

Well here we are again, another Sonic title to follow up Shadow The Hedgehog released back in November. But this time, we have a racing game on our hands. Fans were on the edge of their seats in anticipation of this new game. Needless to say, few were disappointed.

Gameplay 9/10

Sonic Riders provides high speed goodness in ways Sonic R for Sega Saturn could not. A new air system is one key essential that makes the game interesting. Sonic Team has also split the racers up into three separate groups ( Well, five technically, play the game to understand what I'm talking about. ;) ). Speed, Power, and Flight, each with their own advantages and shortcuts throughout levels.

You can also purchase special boards from the famous Black Market with Special Coins ( just kidding ) Rings of course.

Also when you're done with Story Mode ( which is sort of short, one of it's few flaws. ) You can check out mission mode or Grand Prix. Both contain unlockables for doing extra well. This gives you extra incentive to keep playing for a good long time ( Because it's hard as heck lemme tell ya ).

Take THAT Mario Kart! *Chucks red shell*

Story 8/10

Sonic, Knuckles, and Tails are hunting down a Chaos Emerald with Tails' spiffy scouter-type device when suddenly a group of mysterious birds make a dramatic entrance on hover boards ( in slow motion no less ) Suddenly Tails realizes that they are holding the Chaos Emerald. Sonic proceeds to chase them but cannot keep up with their hover boards. One of the birds falls off and loses his board due to Knuckles decking him in the face ( Leave it to Knux I always say. ) Sonic grabs the board and takes off on it. However due to his lack of experience on hover boards he simply cannot catch up. The three birds get away and Sonic puts on that legendary grin of his and thinks of them as “New Competition.”

Graphics 10/10

A new Anime-Style intro is beautifully done. Cutscenes are still very nice and glossy similar to other Sonic titles. The level environments are amazing and awesome ( it'll be hard to notice since you'll be to busy breaking the sound barrier on a hover board).

Sonic Teams treats us to a beautifully done game with a million and one unlockables, a wide range of characters, and very cool looking levels. For the good of humanity, rent this at least, you'll never be able to play Sonic R again.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 02/28/06