Review by PKMNRULES

"A great game...but just not long enough"

The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning is a nice game, but it just isn't long enough. It's got a lot of great features that just aren't exploited. The game is amazing while it lasts, but I just can't emphasise enough how it fails to last long enough.

I'm not a hardcore Spyro fan, but I know what I like. It's got loads of variety, but the problem with that variety is that there's too many features in too short a game. That means your favorite features won't show up enough. The thing is, you get new stuff all the time. It's a very excellently done game, and the gameplay, if you look at it alone, makes a major title, possibly competing with titles like The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. But we'll get to what brings this down later.

One of the most interesting things of the entire series is the fact that you actually get to be a fantasy species that many video games feature as enemies, usually as a boss. That's right, a dragon. Although be it a small one. But in this game, not just big things, but enormous things come in small packages. Yep, Spyro can easily give any enemy a third degree burn, and also a zap, as well as other stuff. Just by exhaling. You will gain four different breaths throughout the game, and they each do different things.

Unlike in most games, you will never find an enemy you can kill in one hit. You find loads you can kill in two or three hits, but no one hit kills. All of the enemies in this game will take some work, more than most video games usually take.

This game is hugely battle-orientated. There are absolutely no puzzles. Mainly battle. And there really aren't any bonus pickups either. Maybe that's the reason the game is so short, because there's no side quests.

VOICE ACTING! Yay voice acting! It always rocks when there's voice acting, because it can mean the difference between a funny joke and a bad attempt at one.

Awesome for the GCN. Or maybe it's just the fact that I'm playing it on my Wii. Either way, some of the cutscenes are Final Fantasy caliber.

Replay value: 2/10

The one factor that killed the game. I could have beaten this game in a single day, if it weren't for the fact that my brother was playing it a lot as well. And since there's no side quests, there's no reason to play the game again. If they only threw in a few side quests, bonus items, and other crap you don't need to do to beat the game, then this would be one awesome game.

Buy, rent, or neither?

Rent. Don't spend thirty clams on a game you can easily beat in a rental period, even if you're not a hardcore gamer. The game has some seriously fun features, but the game is just too short.

Yes, the replay value impacted the score that much. This isn't an average. An awesome game can be made mediocre just because it's too short.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 01/02/07