Review by Tuoh

"A degraded version BfBB"

I picked up this game for $20 for a deal from Gamestop. Started playing it after I finished Twilight Princess. I swear to god, this game made me mad from the first mission. After I played through it, I was stunned to find that this game has the same graphics as Battle for Bikini Bottom, but was released after, and the quality has reverse-sky-rocketed.

A bad storyline. Spongebob goes into his dreams, and cannot get out until he solves the mystery of the Creature from the Krusty Krab. Despite being from the KRUSTY KRAB, this game never goes out into Bikini Bottom itself. Atleast, the game never reveals that. But overall, the storyline will surprise you with the annoying twists it'll take that aren't really explained. Ever. At first, when the levels begin, the story makes sense and you'll want to continue. Then, as you progress, you'll think, "Okay, it's been going on for a while. Is this the end?" As you go evern further, you'll learn what a fool you've been to start, as you're dragged through constant trials of mockery, you'll just want it all to end. Then, when you're hoping for atleast a boss to wrap up the level, you get nothing.

What confused me is that these graphics are the same as BfBB, and yet somehow managed to lose the ability to keep up with what the characters say. That's the only flaw I can find, besides the overall meagerness. But hey, it's Spongebob. When have those games ever been epic?

Repetitive and annoying. The characters will constantly say something they've said over and over again after doing a certain action. The music's fine, not beautiful, but standard videogame music. My only complaint is how the characters can't keep up with what they're saying.

The gameplay, which involves things like slapping fish, ground-pounding buttons, and shooting lasers from your eye, will entertain for the first time. Then, after doing it over and over without any innovative ideas, it gets boring. There's no super-hard puzzle that you'll have to use every ounce of strength to solve, and the levels... ugh, the levels. Long, repetitive, pointless, easy, and uncontributive. Not my idea of fun for all. Also, the Z coin things. No point to collecting them. There's no secret shops, no high score, no way of using them, no prize for hard work. The only collectibles worth getting are the sleepy seeds, which simply unlock characters for a later level. Now, what's up with the no-bosses thing? After a long, annoying level, you'd want something to beat up, but nothing. The enemies are just copies of other enemies, but with different looks. There's the minions, and the powerhouses, and the jellyfish. For each spongebob level, there's a one-hit enemy, and one enemy to stun before one-hit slapping it. For Patrick level, there's minions that take 1-3 hits, and one that takes about 5. Aside from any Plankton level, that's pretty much it, the enemies are designs with different costumes.

So, that's my opinion. Rent or buy? Rent. Rent, rent, rent, rent, rent. Don't make the mistake of buying this game for outrageous prices.

Reviewer's Score: 4/10 | Originally Posted: 11/03/08

Game Release: SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty Krab (US, 10/16/06)