Review by Gamecube_Gamer

"Repeat first down"

With another football season comes another Madden game. And while the focus has been on the next generation offerings, the previous consoles have been graced with their own versions. So, where does this Madden game fall?

Graphics-6/10:
Let's get one thing straight, I didn't rate it low because the graphics are bad. They look just as good as last years, which is actually the reason it got a 6. If you're going to give us one last game on these consoles, the least you could do is try and make it the best looking one, instead of recycling the old graphics.

Music-8/10:
There's a mixture of different rap songs from artists you have and haven't heard of. But the reason I rated it an 8 was not because of them (in fact, I turned them all off), but the NFL films music. In my opinion, the NFL Films fit the game a lot better than the other music, and kept me from rating it lower.

Game modes-7/10
There's three different game modes, each with it's own quirks. So I scored them individually, and worked out an average.

Franchise-6/10
Franchise mode remains largely unchanged. You try to lead an team through 30 years of 16 game seasons, all the while trying to get the best players you can and keep fans happy. The only real change is the "My week" option, which has a menu of things that you should do before every game.

Superstar-8/10
Superstar mode is also largely unchanged. The only thing that's changed is that you build your rookie rather than rolling the dice and hoping for the best. It's balanced enough so you can't create a rookie with 99 in everything, but you can make it with the attributes that are important to your position higher.

But if you'd rather take one of the existing rookies through their NFL career, you can do that too. All the rookies are there, from JaMarcus Russell to Ramzee Robinson. Your goal is the same-Make it to the Hall of Fame.

Fantasy Challenge mode-N/A
This is a new mode that I have not yet tried out, so I can't give you a score on it. Once I do, I'll get back to you on this.

Game play-7/10
The game play and controls, like just about everything else, remains largely untouched. The controls are the same, with the exception of the Hit Stick. Now we have Hit Stick 2.0, which will allow you to either hit the runner high, or go low and try to hit their legs.

There's also weapons, that signify who's great at something. Matt Birk, for example, is great at Pass Blocking, so he has the Pass Blocking weapon. Truthfully, it only shows who can do something better than the average guys, so you know who you should feed the ball to, or where they should be placed on the field.

Also, for those of you who need a refresher, or never played Madden before, there's skill drills. They put you through different skills: Running, Passing, Defense, and Pre-Snap. They help you learn the controls of the game, and work you up to more advanced moves.

Replayability-10/10
Franchise mode alone will keep you busy for a while, but with 2 other modes and the option to just play a game right away, you can expect to get a lot of game play out of this disk.

Final score-7/10
As expected, EA chose to give their big updates to the next generation versions. While we have minor upgrades, an updated roster, and a new mode, it feels like we're repeating the game we had in 2007.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 08/21/07