Review by vgc2000

"Shaddap Fart Knocker!!"

Beavis And Butthead was one of those shows, the production values were high and the show was liked by most but hated by the conservative folks. My parents are on the conservative side so I wasn't allowed to watch the show as a kid so I snuck off to friends' houses and watched it when I could. The show was fun and risqué to watch so naturally I wanted to check out the newly released games at the time. I got a chance to play the SNES version in its heyday and had some fun with it, the Genesis version I later tried when I was a collector and enjoyed that version as it captured the essence of the show very well though it toned down much of the real course humor that the show had. It was not until later on that I actually tried the forgotten Game Gear port. I wanted to like it but Viacom stripped anything out of the game that could possibly be fun.

The plot is exactly the same as the console counterparts, help the two losers get to the GWAR concert by strolling around town and collecting money. I couldn't sit through the game any longer than the third stage so I don't know exactly how long the game is but I believe it is made up of six stages. The item collecting is gone here, the two fools are stuck plodding through mindlessly long and repetitive stages, along the way the only thing to collect is cash lying around and some food to restore health and that's it. The stages are far too long like I said and the enemies are quite hard to dodge and you can't attack so you'll lose plenty of lives on the way to the concert.

The game isn't anything to write home graphically, Beavis and Butthead are animated rather nicely though and do many of the motions from the show, health is displayed in glowing light bulbs and they fall over when the lights go out which is a nice tribute to their mentality in the show. The rest of the backgrounds are pretty bland and don't capture the essence of the show like the console versions did and the Game Gear is capable of doing it but Viacom didn't seem to care too much. If you collect too much food there is a nice funny little scene with them sitting on the toilet doing the download thing and your health then resets back to three bulbs, there are some nicely animated scenes at the beginning and when they rip on each other during game play but it doesn't save the game.

The sound kills the game. The music is extremely grating and almost unbearable, sound effects suck as well, the only thing that breaks it up are the animated scenes during the game play where Beavis and Butthead rip on each other and that actually works well since the voice samples are pretty close to the show.

This game should have been good, Viacom really watered this down and it doesn't make sense in anyway. The stages are far too long and hard and they all seem to be the same after a while. The game is fun for a few quick laughs but grows boring fast, if you need some quick enjoyment max their health out, the bathroom scene is quite good and if that doesn't do it, wander through stage 2 for a few minutes, there is a body builder that will climb out of a locker and smack Beavis or Butthead. Leave this game for the true fart knocker or it may have a way of making you unwantingly play real life frog baseball and that can't be a good thing if you know what I mean.

Reviewer's Score: 3/10 | Originally Posted: 08/14/09

Game Release: Beavis and Butt-head (US, 12/31/94)