Review by BCostigan

"Simple but Good fighting Game!"

MORTAL KOMBAT for the Sega GameGear does not turn out to be a bad game at all. I think it is pretty fun to play when you have absolutely nothing else to do.

STORY: (9/10)
The story to Mortal Kombat is, you enter a tournament called the Shaolin Tournament in order to take down the mastermind behind the whole thing, Tsang Tsung. In order to get to him, you must fight all the other Kombatants including a huge beast called Goro. It turns out to be a good storyline.

GRAPHICS: (7/10)
The graphics for Mortal Kombat on the Sega GameGear could use some improvement but, aren’t to overly bad. One major glitch in the graphics is Raiden’s flying attack. When you use this, a whole bunch of black boxes appear in his body as he is doing the attack. The FPS is very slow at times when the characters move around a lot on the screen. This sometimes can be very frustrating because you have to wait for the system to catch up on all the moves that you are going to perform. The backgrounds are very nicely done; all of them have great detail put into them.

SOUND: (4/10)
The really isn’t a lot of sound in the game. When you are attacking a person, you will only hear sounds if you are kicking them, but if you are punching them you won’t hear anything at all. There seems to only be only music track throughout the entire game. It’s a very simple track that the GameGear is able to play easily. But, it’s not bad for the Sega GameGear.

CONTROLS: (8/10)
The controls are very simple, use the analog Thumb Pad to move the character around, and button 1 and 2 to punch and kick. It’s really a very simple fighting game. There really isn’t too much bad about the controls.

GAMEPLAY: (10/10)
Mortal Kombat turns out to be a very fun fighting game on the Sega GameGear. They did take one character out to fit the game on the GameGear. That character would be Kano. Other than that all the other characters are very fun to use. Sub-Zero is my personal favorite. He has the best Fatality in the entire game. That is, he shoves his hand down there throat and rips there spinal cord right out. I never get tired of that.

FINAL RATING: (8/10)
So, should you rent or buy? You can’t do either nowadays. I’m sure you can but it at a used game store, but I doubt that you can rent the game. So, if you do see it in a used game store, I suggest that you buy the game, you will not regret it!

THANKYOU!