Review by The JW

"Disappointing, but not all bad"

I don't think this game is as great as everyone says it is, but maybe it's because I never bought a Castlevania game for any of my other systems, just rented them. However, since there are a total of 4 or 5 interesting games available for the GBA at present and I already have bought 2 of them, I figured I would give Castlevania a shot (instead of getting Tony Hawk 2, which I now regret) after all of the good reviews I've read.
Maybe it's because I've always thought side-scrollers were boring and at times, pretty darn frustrating. But no, this game was supposed to be a must-buy.

My main complaint is the lack of health-replenishing items. It just seems that the only way I can heal myself is going to a save point. I get very frustrated when I'm close to death, which gives this game a fun factor of 1 (out of 10).
And it's like every time I get hit by something I get thrown clear across the screen. Now come on.

Which brings me to my next complaint. You should be allowed to save whenever, not by designated save points. Nuff said. Frustration factor: 10 out of 10.

The graphics, however, are pretty impressive. Though maybe this is because I've forgotten what the SNES looked like (got rid of it many years ago for the 'bigger and better' systems), as I know the GBA is little more than a hand-held step up from the SNES. Ok, but still, they are really good, and way better than anything the gbC has to offer. But if anyone's seen F-Zero, you know that the GBA is capable of way better. 7 out of 10.

Replayability: 1 out of 10. Whenever I finally beat this game, I am going to put it away and not play it again. It is that frustrating to me.

Music/Sound: 10 out of 10. SNES-type quality, but definitely well done within the game. I just have complaints against Nintendo for including a speaker so small. But again, way better than the *bleep*-ing gbC.

Storyline: As good as a video game can be. And you know what I mean when I say this. Just look at any of Final Fantasy games, lol.

Overall: 5 out 10. As I said above, it was between this and Tony Hawk 2, but I went with something that seemed more challenging and intellectually stimulating.
Guess I chose poorly.