Review by GValko

"A Must buy"

I managed to get a GBA launch day, and this is was the only game I decided to buy. (Or managed at least). Let me tell you I was not disappointed. The game easilly lives up to its ancestors, on the older platforms. And here is the break down of the game and its score:

The story is good, and hardly leaves any holes in it by the time it ends. The game starts off as Morris Baldwin, his son and his other disciple Nathan Lane. They arrive at Dracula's Castle, trying to prevent the ressurection of the seemingly immortal Dracula, by a woman named Camilla. Morris is then captured by Drac to serve as his life force so he can truly ressurect. The son and Nathan get dropped into the catacombs, and you then assume the role of Nathan to save your master, and slay Dracula, all while killing monsters and bosses to get to Drac. There are a few plot twists, but that's mainly after the Underground Waterway's boss.

The gameplay is reminiscent of its Playstation cousin Symphony of the night. This is mainly because of the large areas that branch ff into smaller sub areas. Controls are simple at first press a button to jump, another to attack, Up+ attack to use a subweapon. They include: Cross-Acts as boomerang; Axe- Toss overhead; Holy Water: Create firs on grouns; Dagger- toss a knife; Stopwatch- Freeze enemies for a few precious seconds. The real meat however comes from the DSS system. DSS means Dual Setup System, and allows you to create up to 100 different combinations all of which can be accessed on the fly by pressing the 'L' Button (Defaukt setup). Summoning, bombing and usin the item breaks can be annoying, as you have to move the Digital Pad in a semi-circle starting from the down position. You also earn Magic items that allow you to perform double jumps, and other stuff.

Sound and music: 10/10

The sounds and music all fit into the areas where they belong, and sime of the music is remixed verionsfrom previous games, going to the traditional areas. Clock Tower, Chapel, etc.)

Replay Value 10/10

There is plenty of replay value in this game. After beating the game, you will be able to access a new mode of play, eventually ending with 5 different modes to play. Also there is the wanting to explore the entire map, which also adds some value.

In conclusion, I would recomend this game to anyone who has a GBA, and wants to buy it.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/05/01, Updated 07/05/01