Review by FFIX369

"Definately the best GBA game out there right now"

I just recently bought this game because everyone was saying that it was good, but I have never really been into Castlevania games, they usually bore me to death, but then realized why everyone liked it, this game is really fun! There are no dull moments, and it provides a really great challenge, so now, on to the review.

The Graphics aren't anything spectacular, definately not the best the GBA has to offer, but I really like the dark atmosphere of the game, and if you have enough light, then you can see that the animation is really smooth, and nicely done.

The gameplay is simple and easy to get the hang of. It's basically just going throught the game and whipping things, but it's still enjoyable. I like the added use of the DSS cards and the secondary weapons.

Control: 9/10
Nothing thats hard to get the hang of here, it is just a basic side scroller. All the magic items are easy to use. I was kind of dissapointed in the beginning, when you don't have the dash boots, 'cause i thought I had to walk like that through the whole game, but once i got the boots and I sped things up a little, it was all fine.

The sound effects aren't the best. i kind of wish they could have used voices for some of the characters, the only sounds are pretty much just your feet hitting the ground as you walk, monster noises, and the sound of your whip.

Music: 8/10
The music in this game is awesome. It's really dark and sort of spooky. I like the way it changes when you go to a different area. The GBA speakers are pretty loud, so you can get the full effect of the music if you have the sound all the way up.

This is where the game really shines. The story in this game is amazing. It's very detailed and has a couple of good plot twists in it, plus, any story that involves Dracula and a whip must be pretty cool. ^_^

If you are a fan of Castelvania, or are just looking for a good game to play on your GBA, the I would say that you definatley have to get this one. It's a great game that will provide you with a lot of game time, I know the first time I beat it, it took me at least 21 hours, which is a lot of time for a handheld.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/11/01, Updated 07/11/01