Review by wolverinefan

"The Mario game that isn't a Mario game"

Story
Mario keeps having the same dream over and over. The story is something like that and it's really crappy. The worst part about the story is Bowser isn't in it! Well at least Peach wasn't kidnapped... I give story a 3/10

Control
Well since the Game Boy Advance doesn't have a lot of buttons and you only use buttons to jump and pick-up/throw stuff then it isn't too had. It takes maybe 20 seconds to get use to the control. I give control a 10/10

Voice Acting, Sound Effects and Music
Wow, there is actually voices in this game. It's amazing! Sadly half of them suck. Mario and Luigi sound okay but Peach and Toad are horrible. The sound effects are your average ones from the 80's doors opening, thumps and other normal sounds are here. Well the music is the same from the NES version. If you liked that music then you will probably like this music. I give voice acting, sound effects and music a 7/10

Game play
It's almost like the NES version. First I want to say I hated the NES version and this game isn't better. The only thing changed here is some bosses switched levels, bigger guys/veggies and some bosses have a new look. Oh and there is eggs to find which unlocks something but I never looked for them. You can play as four different characters, Mario, Peach, Toad and Luigi and each have a special power of sorts. Mario is average at everything, Luigi can jump very well, Toad is strong and peach can float. You can choose characters at the start of every stage but you can beat it with just one. There is also a Mario Bros. mode which is the game from the Atari which is great fun and it's multi-player but it does get old after a while. I give game play a 6/10

Replay Value
There is a good amount of Yoshi eggs to find and the two player Mario Bros. is a blast. If you liked the NES version than you will probably love this one. I give replay value a 4/10

For a game that isn't really a Mario game it holds up well enough. It just isn't the normal Mario and even as a kid I disliked this game a lot. Even today I'm not all that fond of it.

Final Score
I give Super Mario Advance a 6/10

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 10/10/07

Game Release: Super Mario Advance (US, 06/10/01)