Review by goppers

"Where guys in masks block your road to a giant frog"

Super Mario Advance is a very basic GameBoy game where Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Toad fall into a dream world where all is ruled by Wart, the giant frog. His weakness is vegetables, which are throughout the entire game, and they can help you defeat little guys in masks called Shy Guys, and at the end of every level, you face a version of Birdo. In World 5 Birdo turns green, and starts shooting fireballs, but still nothing too hard.

The storyline, as I mentioned earlier, is that a giant frog is ruling this hidden world and Mario, Luigi, Toad, and Peach must defeat him. A strange but unique storyline, so it receives an eight out of ten.

The gameplay is basically the same as any other Mario game like this one, go through levels, beat enemies, and sometimes bosses, and get some type of key to the next world. In this case it's a jewel, which opens an eagle's mouth and lets you go through it. The second-last boss is the eagle's head, just in case you are wondering, "Why an eagle's head?" The controls are normal and easy to master, so this game's actual gameplay is a nine out of ten.

The sound is good, but it gets annoying after awhile, and it just repeats itself. Different areas have different music, such as a cave or a building, but all caves have the same music, which is why I rated it a seven out of ten.

The graphics are two-dimensional, but that's typical for a GameBoy game. Taking the 2-D factor away, the graphics are excellent. You can see everything clearly, and nothing ever is the wrong color or shade, so the graphics are very good. They definitely deserve and eight out of ten.

Amusement: 8/10

When you're in the middle of a level, throwing vegetables at the Shy Guys and throwing down potions to find hidden doors, all is well. But when you get to some of the bosses, you could throw your game on the ground and light it on fire. It will get very frustrating. But other than that problem, this game is just the right level of difficulty for just about anyone. So I rate the amusement and eight out of ten.

Overall Rating: 8/10

Overall, this game gets an eight out of ten, pulled down by the sound but boosted back up by the overall gameplay. I would consider at least renting a used game, and if you like it, definitely buy it. This game is surely one of my favorite GameBoy games.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 11/30/09

Game Release: Super Mario Advance (US, 06/10/01)