Review by Ofisil

"Greatly recommended for the Mario newbie"

Super Mario Advance is bringing those Mario classics into our GBA and in the first of the series we get 2 games, Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 2. Those 2 games have been enhanced a bit, both in terms of graphics and gameplay and will offer you a great time, especially if this is your first time playing the games.

Replay Value: 5/10

Let's start with Mario Bros. Like with the original you have to kill enemies that appear in the top of the screen, by hitting the floor they are walking on. As you move on, enemies become stronger, faster and come in more complex waves. The game is somewhat easy and addictive for a while, although the controls and replay value leave something to be desired. Were there any additions? Too say the truth I don't really remember any and if they were they would be some new enemies. Now about Super Mario Bros. 2: In case you haven't played the original, it was quite a weird Mario where you didn't have to run around while stomping on turtles or throwing fireballs. In SMB2 you can choose among 4 characters, each one with his\her own pros\cons and had to reach the end of each level. Apart from the fact that each character changes gameplay quite a bit, the level design is very good and offers some interesting challenges that will put your skills to the test. Apart from some minor additions everything is generally the same but that's not necessarily a problem. Sure, it's not a fast paced game and certainly not one with a high replay value but it's a very good one.

Graphics: 7.5/10
Design: 7/10
Music: 8/10

I always considered SMB2 one of the best looking Mario games ever and this port makes everything even better, with bright colors and a great overall design. Mario Bros. is just a tad better but nothing special. Sound wise we have the same wonderful music tunes of the original SMB2, with just a very small difference since this isn't a NES. The sound effects are quite good but the voices of your 4 heroes are extremely annoying.

[+]:
-Four characters to choose from
-Nice level design
-Good graphics & great music

[-]:
-Annoying voices
-Low Replay Value

Also Play:
Crash Bandicoot (Playstation)
Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
Super Mario World 1-2 (SNES)

Overall: 6.9/10

Maybe I could give this game a higher score if I hadn't played the original so many times when I was younger. I totally recommend it to people who have never played the old ones though…

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 06/19/13

Game Release: Super Mario Advance (US, 06/10/01)