Review by Doodleheimer

"Look out! He's got a vegetable!"

Super Mario Advance is an enhanced version of Super Mario Bros. 2 on the NES, and Mario Bros. on the Arcade. Super Mario Bros. 2 is an odd and innovative platformer, and Mario Bros. is a classic arcade game. Super Mario Bros. 2 was re-released in 1993 along with Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3, and Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels on the SNES. Mario Bros. saw previous releases on a few Atari consoles and the NES. Super Mario Bros. 2 is based off of a Famicom Disk game called Doki Doki Panic, and this game was called Super Mario USA in Japan.
Game Play-
8/10

The game is a combination of Super Mario Bros. 2 and Mario Bros. The game play in Super Mario Advance is simple, yet difficult. In Super Mario Bros. 2 (It's Super Mario USA in my version); you get to choose from four different players. Those four players are Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Toad. Each has their own strengths. Mario is all-around, Luigi jumps high, Peach jumps far, and Toad is really fast. You go around in a level picking up vegetables and throwing them at enemies. Surprisingly, that idea works. The game is much easier than the previous versions. You can now have five heart containers, and hearts are abundant (Everywhere).

Now, after you beat the game, you unlock Yoshi's challenge. Yoshi's challenge is getting two Yoshi eggs and beating the level in a single try. There are also more vases in this version. I went nuts trying to get all of the five coins in every level. Mario games nowadays have lots of stuff to unlock and complete. IMP (In my opinion), I thought that Super Mario Bros. DX was better. In that, instead of Super Mario Bros. 2 and Mario Bros., you get Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels.

The other game on this tiny cartridge is Mario Bros. Mario Bros. was the first game to include Mario and Luigi and NOT a Donkey Kong. The purpose of this game is to go across three platforms on the screen and bump the enemies on top of the platform above you, flipping them upside-down. When enemies are upside-down, you can destroy them by kicking them. It's quite addictive and easy at first.

SMB2 now has a score keeper. The game now keeps score, a feature not found in the original or the All-Stars version. You get extra score if you throw a vegetable and it hits more than one enemy. Nintendo is thinking ahead with this, and not just giving us the original versions and nothing more.

Control-
6/10

I wasn't really fond of the control in either game. SMB2's control is still a little slippery on screen. Sometimes, the characters can go a little further than you wanted them to go. It's also a little uncomfortable with the button setup on the GBA. Usually, the control should be on the other side for platforming games, but the genius' at Nintendo thought it would be better this way.

Mario Bros.' control has always been a little screwed up. You could never jump correctly with any of the characters in this game. You can't move while you jump, and trying to jump from platform to platform can be really tricky. But, once you get used to it, it becomes easy. Those words were taken from The Book of Doodleheimer.

Graphics-
9/10

The games have huge graphical upgrades. SMB 2 has the same visuals as Super Mario All-Stars. Mario Bros. has much better graphics than the original version. The vases in this game have Yoshi's Island-ish backgrounds, with the deformed objects and huge black outlines around those objects. I didn't like the graphics in Yoshi's Island that much. Some of the enemies and vegetables in SMB 2 are bigger. But, they're supposed to be bigger, because you get more points that way if you throw them.

The graphics in Mario Bros. have been nicely restored. Lively backgrounds have been put in that were not in the arcade version. The stages change every few stages. They change themes, from an ice-covered stage, which affects the character’s control even more, to a rocky background with lava, which obviously doesn’t affect the character’s control even more.

Audio-
10/10

The music in SMB 2 really shows off the audio power of the GBA. It sounds much better than the NES version. It also fits the environment of the level really well. I had serious doubts about the audio capability of the GBA, but this game has proved my theory wrong. Mario Bros. now has music in it, and it sounds pretty good, fits the environment of the level well. And now the characters in the game speak. Toad's voice is just awful though. He sounds like he has a raspy cough in a high tone of voice.

Enjoyability-
8/10

This game lacks a lot of the original difficult game play. One reason why I liked SMB2 so much was because it had such a steep difficulty. This version is really easy compared to the original and the All-Stars version. The addition of Mario Bros. to the cart does add to the fun. Mario Bros.' 4-Player mode is really fun with 4 players. I would have appreciated more extra modes though, instead of just Yoshi’s Challenge.

Score Rundown

Score-41/50

Percentage of Gaming Goodness-82%

Overall-

Doodleheimer's Recommendationitivity

Not that the GBA is out, plan on getting this game if you like platformers. I really like this game. And who doesn't love Mario? I expect you all to get Super Mario Advance. Do it, I have hypnotic powers. Just kidding, that was only a dream I had. (In that dream, Jurassic Park had a rock band)

Street Price-$29.99