Review by Gauntlet Man 99

"A pretty good GBA first generation game"

Introduction-
Last week, I was walking around my local mall, when I saw what looked like a video game box on the ground. Naturally I walked up to it to see what it was. It turned out to be a new looking box for Super Mario Advance. I looked inside and saw it had an unopened game and instruction booklet inside. Being the honest and generous person that I am, I gave it to one of the most important people in my life; me. When I got home, I tried it out. It turned out to be a pretty good side-scrolling game that was pretty tough. If you choose to read on you’ll find out a lot more about the latest installment of Mario, from Nintendo.

Graphics- 7 out of 10
The graphics in Super Mario Advance are on par with most Super NES graphics, but they don’t really bring out the maximum graphic capabilities of the Gameboy Advance. Mario Advance is a 2D side-scroller so you can’t expect it to be 3D, but still, Nintendo could have made them a little better. One of the coolest things though is the backgrounds. They went into great detail and everything is very colorful.

Sound- 9 out of 10
The sound is great. It has all of the classic Mario songs, and some ones exclusive to this game. There are tons of different songs, and even more sound effects. Because none of the various levels have the same tunes, and none are too long, you’ll never get tired of hearing it. The reason the sound got a nine is because the sound effects are the slightest bit too cartoony.

Play Control- 10 out of 10
The play control couldn’t be better. To move, all you have to do press a direction on the D-pad and your character will move in that direction. Since nobody can do any special moves such as flips playing is never complicated at all. Even if you could do stunts or things, since the GBA only has in-game buttons, it wouldn’t be very hard.

Game Design- 7 out of 10
All Super Mario Advance is, is a remake of Super Mario Bros. 2 for the NES, so it flunks out in the originality category. And the other game it has on it is a remake of Mario Bros. for the NES too. But there are enough added elements in SMA to make it a better game. One of the coolest things is the multi-player in the Mario Bros. game. You can play a battle mode with only one GBA, or if you have four you and up to three friends can play as a team to beat it. On the NES SMB2 wasn’t a very fun game compared to the other three Mario games, but on Gameboy Advance Nintendo somehow managed to make it more fun.

Replay Value and Challenge- 8 out of 10
Super Mario Advance won’t take long to beat, even if you’re not too good at video games, especially because it’s so short. Even if it were longer, it still wouldn’t be that hard, because none of the levels are very long or challenging. After you beat it once you’ll have almost no reason to play it again, but it’s still pretty fun. The _real_ replay value and challenge come from the multi-payer. Some of my friends and I could go beating the crap out of each other in this game for hours. So really, if you’re good a gamer then don’t get this unless you have people to play it with.

Overall- 8 out of 10
Overall Super Mario Advance is a pretty good side-scroller, but it’s too short. Aside from the fact that it’s too short, SMA is a fun game with an excellent multi-player mode. Some people may not buy it because they think it’s just two NES remakes. Basically, they’re right. But there are enough new features and enhanced graphics to make it seem almost new. Just like all of the other Mario games, it’s rated “E” for everyone by the ESRB rating board.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 06/25/01, Updated 01/18/02