"An odd Super Mario game indeed, but definitely worth a look for fans of 2D Mario games"

Super Mario Advance is the first GBA game that I had. I bought it to go along with my GBA. I only played this game around 3 times prior to buying it for GBA at my friends house on the NES. I didn't really like the game THAT much when I played it at my friends, but I figured since that was along time ago, and that this game should be updated I would give it a chance. I was surprised however, that I really enjoyed this game alot when I bought it, and it provides a long lasting game that can be very challenging.

Probably one of the Super Mario games with the strongest story I have seen to date. It actually has a story that the game revolves around. Even though most people say that Mario games storys are really lame, this is true to some degree, but for a Mario story this game actually has one that is quite interesting. Your probably wondering also, why the heck am I throwing vegetables at enemies and have a heart meter? Yeah, I wondered that to, but it's mainly because your actually playing the game in a different world, known as Subcon. The story is that Mario, Luigi, Peach and Toad were on a pick-nic and they found a door that lead to another world. Mario was asked to save the world from the evil that posses it. Knowing Mario he gladly accepted and went off to save the land of Subcon. All im going to say is that this Mario game actually has a somewhat good ending. Most Mario games end with fireworks and a congratulations on the screen. But this one is not like that at all.

Well the graphics have definitely improved from the original NES version of the game, and they look really good, and are bright and clear on the GBA screen. Everything looks quite nice, especially in comparison to its NES counterpart. The port from NES to GBA succeeded in the graphics department.

Super Mario Bros. II has interesting gameplay indeed. It's the only Mario game where you throw vegetables at enemies and can pick up almost every enemy in the game. The Boss' are actually quite challenging, but the gameplay experience is diminished from the annoying way that the screen scroles. When your falling from the sky, the screen will pause, then move down, then come back on again. Its especially annoying at times where your supposed to fall down from the sky and grab coins in the air because its hard to control when it does these screen readjustments every few seconds. Its not a major big deal, but it tends to be annoying at times.

The sound quality is not as good as the original NES version of the game, but if you play it with headphones its greatly increased in quality. However some of the tracks from this particular Mario game I find to get irritating. Some of the soundtracks are repetitive and can get on your nerves at times. But otherwise the sound in the game is pretty good. The characters do have some annoying speech however, most Mario games have speech, but some of it from this game is a little irritating. The good thing is that it doesn't happen enough to really bother you.

Replay Value: 6/10

This Mario game comes shipped with Super Mario Bros. as its multiplayer component. It is quite fun to link up with 3 other people and play a 4 player battle, but you won't really have enough opportunity's to do this to make it worth while in the end. Also after you beat the game thats pretty much it. You will probably play a couple levels again after you beat the game, but theres not a whole lot of interest in the game after you beat it. They did add a Yoshi Egg hunt in for you to do after you beat teh game, but the eggs can be difficult to find and when you die, you drop all the eggs your carrying, so this just becomes frustrating, and you will most likely not want to waist your time doing it. This is however a very challenging game, and will keep you busy long enough trying to complete it the first time, that it does have a long first time value when you play it.

Overall: 8.0/10

Overall this is a pretty good Mario game, and an interesting experience at that. If you still own this game on NES and it actually works its really up to you to decide whether you want it for GBA or not. However if you don't have it you might want to pick it up especially if you like Mario games. Its got a interesting story and is a good change of pace from the original Mario's. You might also want to pick up a gameboy player if you have a gamecube, because playing these Mario games on the TV is alot funner when your at your home. The multiplayer is also pretty fun, but nothing spectacular on its own. The game also provides quite the challenge, so it will keep you busy for awhile.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 11/24/04