Review by wolverinefan

"Uninspired RPG"

Story
The three orbs are stolen and your friend has been kidnapped. It's up to you and your friends to get the orbs back, save your friend and stop the bad guys from lighting the light houses. This story is so below average. There is hardly any character development and then you get a lovely "To be continued" ending. I didn't buy this game for only half the game! I give story a 2/10

Control
The control is pretty use to get use to. Choose options in battle is easy. My only complain is that it's hard to align with stuff so that you can use you Psyenergy without it missing the object. I give control a 8/10

Voice Acting, Sound Effects and Music
There isn't any voice acting. When the game is started you get to hear a very cool set of storm sound effects that are very good but once the beginning of the game is over your forced to hear average sound effects. The music is pretty average and forgettable. I give voice acting, sound effects and music a 6/10

Game play
There are four characters and each have a different set of Psyenergy. Psyenergy is magic and works exactly like magic. You learn new Psyenergy when you gain levels and when you combine Djinn's. Djinn's are like summon spells and there are a total of seven for each Psyenergy class (28 Djinn). Each has a special skill you can use in battle and then you can summon it or you can use some more of Djinn from the same class and summon a stronger monster. You need four Djinn to summon the biggest. Battles are very easy once you learn how to manage your Djinn. You can set them to a character which lets you use their skill or you can put them on standby so you can summon them right away. Your stats also raise depending on which Djinn are set but it's never a big problem once you learn how to set your characters so that they hardly get hurt from even the strongest attacks. The game is really short, it took me 16 hours to beat the game and get all the secrets and I was even stuck on areas for a while. There is also a battle mode where you can fight monsters and you can fight your friends if they have a Game boy Advance and a copy of Golden Sun and someone needs a link cable. I give game play a 7/10

Replay Value
The game is short and easy. There isn't a lot of secrets and the battle mode isn't very fun. There is also some mini games but they are just a tossing game and a coin game and I think there is another one. Nothing worth playing more than once. I give replay value a 2/10

Final Score
I give Golden Sun a 5/10

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 10/10/07

Game Release: Golden Sun (US, 11/11/01)