Review by RPG_Pro

"The sun doesn't set on this one!"

I just got this game the day it came to my EB, and I had to review it! Now, of course, I'm not too far into the game, so my review may change.

So far, the story seems to be pretty well-written. Some evil forces are trying to break into Sol Sanctum to learn the secrets of alchemy. The psynergists of Vale have to stop them before they gain control of the elements, and ultimately, the world.

These are by far the best graphics I've seen on a handheld in a long time. The battle scenes are some of the best on any system!
From the lighting effects from fire or lightning, the detailed houses, and the pseudo-3D battles, this game shines.
Even the cute little anime style characters are detailed, complete with little emoticons every once in a while. Camelot didn't skimp on any little detail. Even leaves on trees are actually recognizable.

The sound is simply amazing. The music doesn't sound tinny and digital like you'd expect, instead, it almost sounds as if a full orchestra was sitting in your GBA.
The SFX are great as well, such as spells, attacks, and especially the storm at the very beginning of the game. I'm beginning to wonder if Camelot can go wrong.

Okay, big deal, one point off for a confusing interface. You set creatures called Djinn to your character, and they use them to unleash powers or summon beasts. Unfortunately, the set-up is sort of un-intuitive, it doesn't really give a good explanation on how to set up a Djinni to summon.
The battles are another minus. Unlike most RPGs, if you set three characters to attack the same monster, if it's defeated by the first two, the third character will defend instead of attacking the next monster. That almost cost me a few battles.
Neither of these problems are a big deal though. Hopefully Golden Sun II will fix them up.

Replay: 30/30
Well, I'm guessing there are many sidequests, but I'm not sure since I haven't gotten too far. I do know that this game is very long, and by the time you finish, you'll probably be ready to start over.

Overall: 99/100%
I think any RPG fan should check this one out, I have a feeling it's going to be a big series. Who knows, maybe we'll see Golden Sun on GCN?

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/13/01, Updated 11/13/01