Review by Ashton300

"Golden Sun? Golden game."

I was the last in my group of friends to buy this game. For this, much laughter was directed at me. I didn't think it could be THAT great of a game. Of course, I was wrong. This is the ultimate GBA game... Well, for now anyway. (This is just my opinion, of course.)

The graphics are awe-inspiring. Bright, vibrant colors, nice looking characters, and great environmental work. They sure beat some of the older PSX RPG graphics. The amazing power of the GBA at work. The battle graphics are great, too. I like being able to identify what kind of creature is coming out to smash the enemy at my whim. No problems here. The magic effects are nice too, from flying starts striking the enemy to a wall of flame cutting through them, or a giant sword crashing down on the poor *cough* souls.

The sound is great, almost orchestrated. Get a pair of headphones to fully appreciate the soundtrack of this wonder. The battle sounds are nice, too. Clanging, bangs, the oh-so-familiar sound of magic spells taking effect... you know, that little chime-like sound? Not really chime like, but.... ah, forget it. The only bad thing with the sound is the SPEECH of the characters. Little bleeps changing in pitch depending on the person speaking. Thankfully, you can turn this horror off. Whew!

Gameplay is nice, also. The story actually maintains a strong structure throughout the course of the game, instead of stumbling or falling on its face like it does in other RPGS (or, doesnt ever come into existence, in Breath of Fire's case. Don't get me started.) It has a nice battle system, which is actually even a bit TOO simple. Pound the A button to kill things. Some boss battles, however, will leave you crying in frustration. If you're not prepared. You'll need to search everywhere in this game, or you're not gonna have enough Djinn to take on the next boss.

Control is simple, and perfect for an RPG. L and R can be used to set shortcuts for spells (''Psyenergy''), A is used to search and talk to people and stuff, and B makes you run. In battle, all you need is the A button. What else?

All in all, this is a wonderful game. It has a few flaws, but nothing too serious. If you have a GBA, I reccomend picking it up.

Graphics 10/10