Review by SPAMBOY

"Awesome game but TOO SHORT!"

This is my first review here so bear with me. It's late and I'm bored. There are fifty different reviews to read for Golden Sun and this will probably NEVER been looked at but, eh, why the hell not throw my input into the fray.

Anyways about the game. Golden Sun is a terrific RPG for the GameBoy Advance. If you are an RPG goer then you have to get this game. It's all pretty standard RPG fare, but then again is that always a bad thing? No, of course not. So on with the review!

Gameplay: It's astounding to say the least. Any game that can keep me glued to a handheld for hours on end, making squint and shift to get the right light has to have great gameplay. Trust me, Golden Sun has that kind of gameplay. Any RPG fan at all will find themselves right at home with the standard menu driven gameplay.

Graphics: EXCELLENT! The best I have, truly, ever seen on a handheld. The GBA is supposed to be a mini-SNES but the little bugger surpases it! This is what the GBA is meant for. The graphics are beautiful. Character design is excellent and the battle animation is top notch, although the earthquake type spells lack in the ''cool'' department.

Sound: Once again something else that Golden Sun does PERFECTLY! The tiny GBA speaker does not do justice to the soundtrack so grab a pair of headphones and listen to it the way it should be heard! The battle sounds of the game are also great. You can't really go wrong here.

Amusment Factor: The game is just plain fun to play. The story is great, what little you get of it (explained later), and the battles are fun. I never got bored of fighting.

Game Length: *MILD SPOILER INCLUDED!!!* Ok, here is the game's major flaw. The length. I found myself only in the SECOND lighthouse and the game was over. No more. It was done. After only 24 hours of gameplay it was finished. What made it even worse is that I was not aware the game was over after finishing the second lighthouse so I saved, then I couldn't get out of the town to get the 3 remaining djinni I had left to get and complete a sidequest! This was one of the few games I have EVER played where I actually found myself yelling at it. I was mad, plain and simple. The ending sucked and on top of that it left me with a To Be Continued...THAT SUCKED!

Reply Value: Eh, after you beat it you probably won't want to go and play through the entire thing any time soon. Battling your party against a friend if mildly entertaining and the monster arena battles are not fun nor are they useful in any aspect.

Overall: Overall I gave this game a 9 out of 10. If it would have been the whole story then I would have given it a 10 but alas it did not. So i will have to spend another 35 bucks on the second one...damn.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 02/10/02, Updated 02/10/02