Review by Future^Trunks

"An incredible game with a few minor flaws..."

Although I personally don't have Nintendo's brand spankin' new Gameboy Advance, my brothers do. One of them happened to buy Rayman Advance with his, so I asked if I could give it a try. I had already played the Windows version of Rayman about 6 years ago, so I knew what to expect gameplay wise. It is a very good game, in all manners for sure. But, it is not without its share of flaws. Let's take a look at the specs, shall we?

Visuals:
10/10
THE BEST I've ever seen for a handheld system (with the exception of Tony Hawk 2 for Gameboy Advance). Beautiful characters, enemies, backgrounds, ultra-smooth animation and great parallax scrolling. No complaints here. Rayman looks great, just as he did on the PC, and allll those other systems way back when. Perfectly matches the GBA's style. Wow.

Sound:
9/10
I can't say that it's completely memorable or anything, but it matches the gameplay just fine. I have heard better, and it would be nice if it had all the vocals of the PC version, but there's only so much you can expect from a handheld game. The music isn't annoying and the sound effects don't disrupt gameplay, so it's good enough for me.

Innovation:
8/10
We've seen your basic side scroller before, but this has something different about it..... I can't quite put my finger on it.... Although it isn't a completely new experience, it is a relatively different idea and it does have its twists and turns. It definitely gives Sonic and Mario a run for the money.

Play Control:
10/10
No complaints whatsoever. The controls are smooth and very responsive. You get used to them in a matter of seconds, and your new abilities are explained to you.

Gameplay:
7/10
Here's where it lacks a bit. First of all, it's WAY too hard. I mean, I like a challenge, but this is a little too much. If you're a veteran sidescroller who has beat the Lost Levels in Super Mario Bros. World 9, then you might not have trouble, but if you're from the ''3D'' age, you will have a lot of difficulty with the game. Second of all, once you beat a level, it's kind of hard to figure out what to do next. Other than that though, the gameplay is eh, OK.

Addictiveness:
10/10
OK, so it might not be a word....... but man, is this game addictive. Beware: do NOT start a game late at night unless you want to stay up all night playing. It has some kind of a grip, forcing you to keep playing..... I don't know why, just try it for yourself and you'll see what I mean.

''Reviewer's Tilt'' ('borrowed' from gamespot.com)
10/10
I personally really like this game, despite its minor flaws. I would recommend it to anyone who is a retrogamer or a sidescroller veteran.

BUY OR RENT?
Rent first. If it's not your type, fine. If it is, buy it right away. You won't be displeased.

Overall
9/10
It may not be perfect, but I love it nonetheless. Give it a try!!!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/30/01, Updated 06/30/01