Review by johnocoffo

"WOW...one of GBA's best games"

Gameplay – 10/10 If you've never played a THPS game before, it may take a while to get used to the controls. Once you learn the moves though, the controls are simple and incredibly fun. The gameplay is fluid, the game is great fun, and THPS2 is challenging but not too frustrating…what more could you ask for?!?! Also, this game is literally addictive. I can’t stop playing it!

Graphics – 10/10 Wow, gameboy has come a long way. A 3-D environment on a portable system has NEVER looked so good. The graphics are crisp, and it doesn't look much different from a PS or N64 game (except for the fact that there is a fixed camera view instead of a view following behind the skater). After seeing these graphics, you’ll never want to go back to 2-D games again! Well…unless we’re talking about Mario or something.

Sound – 9.9999999/10 Awesome music! There may not be any words, but the tunes still pumped me up to skate. The sound is clean, another improvement over the old gameboy games. The sound effects are great too, it sounds like the hawk himself is grinding along the curb of the sidewalk across the street. So plug in your headphones skaters! I didn’t give sound a 10/10 because it is a tad repetitive, ah well.

Replayability – 10/10 There is LOTS and LOTS of game to complete in tony hawk. After you beat the game with every character (which takes many hours), there is still more to do. There is even a gap checklist, encouraging you to find every last hidden gap in the each level of the game. And your high scores are saved, so you can try to beat your scores whenever you please. My favourite aspect of the game is the freeskate mode, because with a game this addictive, you’ll want to skate without a limit on your time.

Buy or Rent? – BUY!!! You won’t find many GBA games out there that are as fun and addictive. It’s a challenge that will take you more than a couple of days, or weeks. I’ve never skated in my life, heck, I don’t even like skateboarding that much, but the game is still a definite winner on the GBA. It is worth the cash to buy.

The Final Word – This game rocks and deserves it’s 10/10 rating. If you’ve played a THPS game before, you won’t be disappointed with this one. This is definitely a must have for all GBA fans!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 08/03/01, Updated 08/03/01