Review by Solarian2001

"I never thought I'd see the day the Gameboy got this good..."

Koopa kidnaps Peach. Mario gets Cape. Mario kicks Koopa's butt. End of Story.

NOT!!! I remember when I was only 11 years old, and I raced to the store way back in 1991 to pick up my SNES and Super Mario World. It was a very exciting moment for me. I had sold my NES and all 14 games just for this new system.

Fast Forward to 2002. I am just as eager now as I was then to get my hands on Super Mario World. But the question lingers in my mind: Does this new version live up to the SNES version?

One word: YES!!! I was so amazed at this new version that I almost cried when I saw the new Intro sequence! Enough about me though, I'm ready to review! I am going to break this down piece by piece.

Graphics-- 10
It's all just as I remembered it, but it seems a little bit more colorful.

Sound-- 9.5
This may be the game's only flaw. The music isn't quite up to par with the SNES version, but it tries to remain faithful. Blame it on the GBA's mediocre Sound capabilities. The sound effects are true to the original but they seem a bit tinny. And last but not least we have the voice-overs. I hear people gripe about this constantly, but I don't understand why. It's a lot less annoying than the last Mario Advance because it isn't overdone and there's no Toad to worry about. >_< Besides, It gives Mario and Luigi a bit of personality. I think it's encouraging to hear them shout ''Bravo!'' when they collect the Dragon Coins in a level, for example.

Play Control--10
Top-notch, as always. Luigi takes a little getting used to, but once you have the hang of it, he is very fun to use, especially when flying is involved. My only gripe is the fact that you have to hit R to Spin Jump. Oh how I wish the GBA had 4 face buttons... I guess I could also gripe that on the SNES version you could hold an item with Y and still use X to shoot fireballs or cape spin. That's one thing I sorely miss in this version.

Replay Value--10
This is one game that will keep you busy for hours if you are new to it, but SNES veterans will shoot through it pretty quick. I gave it a 10 on behalf of the first-time players though.

Difficulty (1 to 5, 5 is hardest) -- 3
Some stages are very easy, while others are downright infuriating. Even for a veteran the infuriating ones are just that.

Let's face it, you can't go wrong with Mario and Luigi. This game does not fail to please. The extra features make it that much better. The classic Mario Bros. game is a nice touch even if it was the same as the first Mario Advance. When I played through the SNES version I thought then that nothing could possibly be done to make the game better. 11 years later, Nintendo proved me wrong.

Reviewer's Rating:   5.0 - Flawless

Originally Posted: 02/16/02, Updated 02/16/02

Would you recommend this
Recommend this
Review? Yes No

Submit a review and let your voice be heard.