Review by TehShowstoppa

"The pinnacle of gaming! Super Mario World is in a league of it's own."

The original SMW is simply the greatest game ever made! Since then it has had an extremely successful sequel and has now been ported onto the GBA. I will never forget the first time I played this amazing game, I was 4 and I savoured every second of it from start to finish...and I will never forget February 9th, 2002 when the GBA version was released here in the US. This tops Zelda: OoT, Mario 64, Metal Gear Solid and every other game that I've played!! This is the perfect game, the best I've ever played.

Graphics: 10/10.
The SNES version of SMW was the first game out for Nintendo's second system and the graphics were indeed better than SMB 3. The GBA version's graphics remains unchanged in any way excluding the newly improved Luigi model. The backgrounds are colorful and provide some nice detail...sometimes you'll see the same backgrounds in some other levels but with minor changes. But this still doesn't affect the graphics in any way. The enemies, Bowser and Mario & Luigi themselves all look like amazing. The world map also looks very detailed. All in all the graphics are superb and I give it a 10.

Controls: 10/10.
Super Mario Advance 2 plays like any other 2D Mario game or any platformer for that matter...which means that it consists of just 2 or 3 buttons to guide you. Now, the (START) button obviously pauses your game. Using (SELECT) on the map screen lets you switch between Mario or Luigi. It offers nothing in-game. The left shoulder button is pretty much useless while the right shoulder button lets Mario/Luigi jump off from a Yoshi. (A) makes your character jump while (B) let's you do a special attack ,(eg. Shoot flowers.) while holding down (B) while moving let's Mario/Luigi sprint. Sounds pretty straightforward to me.

Gameplay: 10/10.
The category which most matters, This is the reason why this game blows any other game out of the water in my honest opinion...you're greeted with the opening presentation and music which always puts a smile on my face it's so nostalgic. So anyway, this game offers 72 levels with 96 ways to finish them!! (exits) It'll last you a long time 'till you reach Bowser's castle and rescue Peach. But still, there is a way to complete the game in less than 2 hours and not by using Gameshark or anything...I won't spoil anyone, it's up to you to find out! The levels in the game prolly take 4 to 5 mins to complete while others just take 2 to 3 mins, it's still great fun playing the levels again just to get every single secret there is. There are 7 worlds, each world has 7+ levels and a Boss Battle against Bowser's kids. Some even have Fortresses. This game never gets boring! You'll ride Yoshi's, swim underwater, shoot fireballs, fly, reach to the stars, visit ghost infested mansions, etc. And also, Luigi's been remodeled! No longer is he another Mario wearing green...he actually looks like Luigi this time! he even has his hovering ability while jumping! but he also has a few weaknesses...he can jump better than Mario so he's suited for the mountainous levels and such, but he can't run faster than Mario...It's a good addition which adds a strategic feel to the game. ^5 Nintendo for making such a great game!

Sound: 10/10.
Those lovable tunes you grew to love from the SNES version are back and restored onto the GBA! Sadly, there aren't any new tunes created exclusively for this release. Mario & Luigi can even make comments in-game after getting a Mushroom, etc. they go 'Just what I needed!' and 'Oh yeah!' among other words. :)

Replay Value: 10/10.
I still replay this game trying to get every single exit (which unlocks a secret world) and getting every coin and Yoshi coins in every level. It'll take some time but it's worth it to finish this truly amazing game...plus, there's a Mario Bros. arcade game as well, just like the first Super Mario Advance game to keep you busy.

Difficulty: 9/10.
This is a somewhat long and difficult game considering that you have to finish the game with all 96 exits and getting every single secret this game has to offer.

Lifespan: 10/10.
SMW is a very long game that'll keep you occupied for more than 15 hours of play time, It's possibly the longest 2D Mario Platformer ever. So if you want a platformer while going on a long trip I recommend taking Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2 with you.

Overall: 10/10.
There you have it, a review of the greatest game ever created...Super Mario World. I recommend you pick this game up, it's an old GBA game so I reckon it'll be quite cheap. or better yet, try finding an SNES with this game + Super Mario All-Stars for the ultimate gaming experience! Huzzah! Hope my review was helpful, peace.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/16/06